NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

WEEK 7: Design Principles

Throughout these last 8 weeks, I have learned quite a bit about basic team work, the overall design process & its pitfalls at every turn. Experiencing the confusiasm again throughout the project always gave me a reason to keep trying to clear things up. This is an obstacle I have learned from, and now know that the energy & attitude we all bring to the team is very important. In order to keep a good vibration within the team, there is a need for some rules, or in some cases principles.

I think its important that everyone brings the same amount of motivation & energy to the table. 

Everyone’s ideas & opinions should be taken into consideration during the entire process. That is what i consider open design. 

Everyone has their skills & weaknesses, that should be considered when assigning jobs & tasks. There should be a trade-off between the quality of work, and the time invested. 

These are 3 aspects of the design process I learned in these 8 weeks. Beyond and over that, there are some more principles I think are important in design.

Form should support Function

It should be intuitive & simple to use.

The energy needed to use the product or service, should correspond to the value you get out of it. A good bike, runs smoothly, and requires less energy, where a old, rusty bike would require energy to fix & maintain before able to use. 

To finish, I would like to emphasize on the idea that we are all creators, and just need to apply ourselves properly.  When we bring our motivation on the table, or we work as a team, and feel like we are part of something, ideas come naturally, the whole process becomes fun, and we improve ourselves as we go along this process, without much effort. 

"Where there is a will, there is a way" anonymous

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Community, Group 9
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Maurice's IDE Reflection
2 comments on “WEEK 7: Design Principles
  1. Nancy White says:

Hi Maurice

Sorry for the very late response. I am finally taking time to read everyone’s final post. I just wanted to say that I appreciate your noticing the importance of ENERGY, something that is often under-appreciated.

Keep creating!

nancy

2. Laura says:

Wonderful last post! You’ve reflected on the group process and the project teamwork giving tips for a better workmanship. It would be fantastic if we can also find the clue to inspire everyone to do what you suggest… it did seem more like you found that clue towards the end!

Group 9 Blogs
  1. by Isabel isabelwiltenburg.tumblr.com
  2. Keisha :) sehyeul.tumblr.com
  3. Lee Ji Eun (Jennifer) ken99jen92.tumblr.com
  4. Maurice's IDE Reflection mauriceschill2.tumblr.com
  5. Michal's Blog of Awesome Stuff michalhros.tumblr.com
  6. Ruben's Blog rubenide.tumblr.com
  7. Yannick's Project Community Blog yy880513.tumblr.com
  8. Zakk Ulbrich zakkulbrich.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more