NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

week 8

Throughout my research, the most important thing I have learned about using online communities and networks in innovative design is crowdfunding. With crowdfunding, you are collecting money to start up any project imaginable. I found some really surprising causes since I first discovered crowdfunding. There are people even making crowdfunding hoaxes. Since anyone can sign up, you can put up anything on there (unless they’re removed for being inappropriate). The point is, literally anyone can start a project if people are willing to back it up.

There are some examples of those hoaxes in this link: 

http://www.funnyordie.com/topic/crowdfunding 

My main design principle would be simplicity. Everything these days should be direct and plain. A visual example is how logos are slowly switching back to 2D designs. Microsoft changed their logo into four simple colored squares. Apple has always been going for the simple look but even their logo went down to a 2D image from their previous, simple, 3D version. A break from routine is also great. Thinking outside the box and being simple is what attracts people these days. With just these two, you could already gather a broad community or network. And last but not least of these principles is efficiency. With everything running like a well-oiled machine, people are more likely to be a part of a community or network.

One thing I would tell next year’s class about this course is you need to get used to being outside of your comfort zone in terms of doing research and marketing. There are definitely more efficient ways to execute a marketing strategy than you would think. I was surprised at how fast things are going with technology because of this course. I would say to get most out of it, you need to be open to new ideas. Thinking outside the box and being open to new ideas is very valuable since there are always new surprises throughout the course. 

Posted in Community, Group 9
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Zakk Ulbrich
2 comments on “week 8
  1. Nancy White says:

Hiya Zakk — sorry for this very late reply, but I wanted to add a big agreement to the issue of how fast things change, and thus the need to check our assumptions about what we do/don’t know or understand.

Thanks!

Nancy

2. Laura says:

Hi Zakk, I would tend to agree on your view to keep things simple. I would also be curious as to what things you would suggest to get all students actively interested and involved in the project during all 8 weeks. Could you give us some tips on this subject?

Group 9 Blogs
  1. by Isabel isabelwiltenburg.tumblr.com
  2. Keisha :) sehyeul.tumblr.com
  3. Lee Ji Eun (Jennifer) ken99jen92.tumblr.com
  4. Maurice's IDE Reflection mauriceschill2.tumblr.com
  5. Michal's Blog of Awesome Stuff michalhros.tumblr.com
  6. Ruben's Blog rubenide.tumblr.com
  7. Yannick's Project Community Blog yy880513.tumblr.com
  8. Zakk Ulbrich zakkulbrich.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more