NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

The homestretch

It’s already week 8 of the project , time flies! We’ve only got one week left to finish our challenge and to show our NGO what we accomplished. I’m actually really excited!

Looking back I realize what we all have been doing all this weeks and what we all have learned, and that is quiet a lot! In the beginning I had no clue about this four hats or about online communities, until I figured that it’s actually a big part of your life as a designer. And it is now. I’ve been using online communities for years now without even knowing what they were and what advantages you can take of them. Now I’ve all seen what crowdsourcing and crowdfunding can mean to companies I think the internet is slowly taking over our whole world! It’s crazy what kind of knowledge or funds in such a short amount of time can be raised by using online communities in the good way.

Design Principles   

Considering all we have done and all we have learned I figured out my design principles for online communities and networks (thanks to http://principles.adactio.com/). First, design by committee. We’ve been doing this project as a team and I’m really convinced that teamwork can accomplish more then just single person work. Different people and different backgrounds know more and will come up with more ideas. The biggest challenge is to make the team work, but looking back at our team in the beginning I suppose every team can do this! Second, focus on the user. By designing online communities or networks it’s obvious that you want to make it work for the persons who need it. Look at their background, age, gender etc. Products has to be user-friendly, so do online communities and networks. And last but not least, they have to be useful. You can make the best layout or whatever, if the content isn’t clear nobody will use it how it’s supposed to be used. Clearness will affect the efficiency, what effects the usefulness on his hand. 

So this is it, my last project communities blog. Honestly, it was not always the most fun thing to do but in general I enjoyed doing this. Getting graded for writing your own thoughts about things, it’s not that bad.. And so was the whole course! In the beginning it wasn’t really clear to me what the whole assignment was and how we should proceed, but trough the weeks it became more and more clear and things were falling into the right place. I would really advice the teams next year to focus on the teamwork from the beginning, this will increase the development and the result of the project a lot I think! And of course getting all this fantastic blogs done on time :) 

Now it’s time for the final stage of this course, the homestretch! Thanks for reading and following! 

Posted in Community, Group 9
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: by Isabel
3 comments on “The homestretch
  1. Nancy White says:

Hello, and a belated final comment (I’m finally working my way through all the student final blog posts!) I’m glad you found your way through confusiasm. The more I think about this course, the more I think we, the teachers, really need to stay out of your way and then you teach us! 🙂

Thanks again for being part of project community

Nancy

2. Michal says:

I agree, very good points. I think that many students felt this way how you described it at the beginning, that they got different insights and realized that what is happening around them.

3. Laura says:

Good points, focussing on the team work. We talked about this ahead of time and asked ouselves the same question: would the students learn more from trying to make the team – work – themselves… or would they learn better if we just told them to work as a team and how this should be done right from the start…
    We decided it would probably sink in better if you all had to struggle a bit first. I know this sounds harsh, but I still believe that the “groan-zone” – helps more than us just telling you what to do. Teamwork will be so important throughout this course, that exactly THIS importance (and pain) had to be experienced. We may decide to find a better way to get everyone working as a team first… and suggestions to HOW we can do this are more than welcome 🙂

Group 9 Blogs
  1. by Isabel isabelwiltenburg.tumblr.com
  2. Keisha :) sehyeul.tumblr.com
  3. Lee Ji Eun (Jennifer) ken99jen92.tumblr.com
  4. Maurice's IDE Reflection mauriceschill2.tumblr.com
  5. Michal's Blog of Awesome Stuff michalhros.tumblr.com
  6. Ruben's Blog rubenide.tumblr.com
  7. Yannick's Project Community Blog yy880513.tumblr.com
  8. Zakk Ulbrich zakkulbrich.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more