NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

#5 The mutual aids : Crowdfunding and crowdsourcing

Companies need crowds. Whatever the company makes, it needs to be used by crowds. In the past, crowds were considered as just ‘consumers’ or ‘users’. However, as companies trying to attract the crowds, they saw the abilities and potentials crowds have that the company needs to maximize their profit. By then, the words ‘crowdsourcing’ and ‘crowdfunding’ are created. It’s just a combination of existing words: crowd, sourcing, and funding.

Crowdsourcing, first of all, is useful to catch people’s needs and wants. Finding what people needs and trying to meet what people wants are the key to success. By involving crowds, the company can get both of them very easily. Also, the company can get lots of ideas from the crowds. Since there are so many people, the company can choose and develop the ideas they wanted from a bunch of ideas the crowds come up with. Plus, there is high possibility of new and creative ideas that the company has never thought of. Using crowdsourcing, the company can save time and money too. Since the crowdsourcing is a form of freelancing, it’s much quicker and cheaper than the expertise-based-company work. For the crowds can deliver their needs and wants to the company, so it can be a win-win process of working. However, since the origin of the source is undefined, it’s unreliable. Company must take a look over a bunch of sources to distinguish whether the source is useful or not. Since the crowds are not experts, there can be some mistakes on their ideas. Also, most of the crowds will have similar ideas which is time-wasting for the company. To use crowdsourcing efficiently, the company must find a right group of people, efficient way of collecting ideas, and set up the standard in distinguishing ideas. 

Crowdfunding, on the other hand, is necessary to the company. There are 4 types of crowdfunding:  Equity, donation, lending, and reward. Crowds can fund their money, skills, talents, etc. When people fund their money, they become very logical and rational. They consider about the purpose, profitability, risks, etc before they fund their money. When the company is well-known, structured, big and historic, people are more opened and is easier to get funded. But the thing is most of the companies which badly requires crowdfunding are new-born ones. Since it has great risks to lose their money, it’s hard to find someone who supports the company. 

Crowdsourcing and crowdfunding, having same root on crowds, differs in the method of approaching. To find the most ideal way to get crowds involved, the company should put on a lot of time and energy on it. 

Posted in Community, Group 9
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Keisha :)
2 comments on “#5 The mutual aids : Crowdfunding and crowdsourcing
  1. Yannick says:

I like your explanation. I almost forgot people’s need which is the key to success.Thanks for the 4 types of crowdfunding, they are very impressive and helpful.:)

2. Laura says:

I like the explanation you give about crowdsourcing and -funding, but I would also like to hear about how you can narrow down the group you need to get information from (who to resource? and how do you know what to ask specifically to them?)
    🙂

Group 9 Blogs
  1. by Isabel isabelwiltenburg.tumblr.com
  2. Keisha :) sehyeul.tumblr.com
  3. Lee Ji Eun (Jennifer) ken99jen92.tumblr.com
  4. Maurice's IDE Reflection mauriceschill2.tumblr.com
  5. Michal's Blog of Awesome Stuff michalhros.tumblr.com
  6. Ruben's Blog rubenide.tumblr.com
  7. Yannick's Project Community Blog yy880513.tumblr.com
  8. Zakk Ulbrich zakkulbrich.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more