NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Crowdsourcing, Crowdfunding – Potato, Potatoe ?

Crowdsourcing, crowdfunding… At the beginning I had no idea where this two words were about. Now I even dream about it. I think crowdfunding and crowdsourcing can be very useful if it’s used in the right way and at the right level. If you’re looking for some professional scientific information or something, it’s more useful to ask help on a blog that only professors can join for example. As for crowdfunding it’s kind of the same, if you’re looking for big funders involving kids and students will be useless most of the times. So a company can take big advantages of crowdsourcing and crowdfunding, but they first have to come up with a plan how to make it work and how to make it most successful. 

In the designer world is a lot of competition going on. There are these big designer bureaus who have global notoriety, but have to hold on their success by coming up with new great ideas time after time. On the other hand there are thousands of designers working on their own or in a small bureau who have maybe even better ideas but not the money. Crowdsourcing can be an outcome. 

Pro’s: Crowdsourcing brings people together. For designers it’s a great way to profile yourself to other designers or even the whole world. People or companies interested in you as designer can even decide to fund your projects, and so it is directly connected to crowdfunding. Crowdsourcing also can help designers out where they are stuck in their development or can be used for giving feedback and tips and tricks. More heads will bring more ideas and may lead to an amazing boost to the process. 

Cons: Then there is the ‘dark side’ of crowdsourcing in design. There can be too much input if you’re letting too many people involved. When the pool is too big, some great ideas might get lost in the big sea of opinions and thoughts. Also you cannot be sure about the reliability of knowledge shared by random people. It will cost a lot of time to figure this kind of stuff out and get it organized. Then there is a risky part about the crowdsourcing, you can’t control the crowd and you can’t control what they will do when you’re spreading your ideas. Before you know it your ideas are all over the internet with another name on it.. 

A lot of big companies wouldn’t be where they are now without crowdsourcing, some wouldn’t be there at all (websites like Wikipedia). Crowdsourcing can bring good ideas together and fuse them into an incredible idea. Crowdsourcing can let the world speak and let the people influence on what designers will create. Crowdsourcing is probably the most fast and low-cost way to help designers improve theirselfs. I’m totally into crowdsourcing, you only have to be careful you won’t loose yourself in it. 

The actual inventor of crowdsourcing. 

Posted in Community, Group 9
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: by Isabel
Group 9 Blogs
  1. by Isabel isabelwiltenburg.tumblr.com
  2. Keisha :) sehyeul.tumblr.com
  3. Lee Ji Eun (Jennifer) ken99jen92.tumblr.com
  4. Maurice's IDE Reflection mauriceschill2.tumblr.com
  5. Michal's Blog of Awesome Stuff michalhros.tumblr.com
  6. Ruben's Blog rubenide.tumblr.com
  7. Yannick's Project Community Blog yy880513.tumblr.com
  8. Zakk Ulbrich zakkulbrich.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more