NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Crowdfunding today

In today’s blog I am going to write about crowdfunding. At this point, I think that everybody knows what that means, so I will just go straight to the point. The use of crowdfunding has been growing rapidly over the last years, and I think that is because of two main reasons. First one is the development of technology, new social media, online networks, etc. The second reason I believe is that more and more people have found out the big advantages and benefits of such a things.

On one hand, there are many benefits such as quick access to capital, avoiding banks and interests, spreading your brand and in this way making an advertisement, acknowledging potential customers or users, however, on the other hand there are also several threats. I think that many designers are afraid of crownfunding because they face a risk of getting their ideas copied before they even get the chance to produce it on their own. I think important part of crowdfunding is to also receive some kind of feedback from people, to get their opinion, and if possible also some advises. This can be even more helpful than the money or advertising. Important thing at doing such a thing is to address the right people at the right time, and it is probably also the most difficult part. Trying to reach the whole world at one time would be just wasting of energy and assets, and if you took very close attention, you would see that you meet with such as crowdfunding campaigns nearly every day, but you do not even notice it since it does not address you in any way.

Now I would like to say something about what I found today. I spend some time browsing the internet and looking for some good and popular examples of crowdfunding, and I just could not believe how many web-sites and different campaigns I found. I did not even imagine how big part of business and personal life this has become. Thousands of people share their ideas, solutions or problems in order to get people’s attention and some capital to start doing something. And actually, in many cases it works as I saw. Some of them were really ridiculous, for example people ask for money to go for a holiday, or to buy a new TV, and there actually receive some nice amount of many from different donors. I think that is just a proof how this crowdfunding idea is spread today, and that it really works. But for how long?image 

Posted in Community, Group 9
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Michal's Blog of Awesome Stuff
One comment on “Crowdfunding today
  1. Laura says:

Interesting stuff Michal, I would like you to share the websites you forund by giving 2 examples, one really crazy website… like people asking for cash for a party, and 1 really handy one that Solidaridad could even use (links please). Thanks!

Group 9 Blogs
  1. by Isabel isabelwiltenburg.tumblr.com
  2. Keisha :) sehyeul.tumblr.com
  3. Lee Ji Eun (Jennifer) ken99jen92.tumblr.com
  4. Maurice's IDE Reflection mauriceschill2.tumblr.com
  5. Michal's Blog of Awesome Stuff michalhros.tumblr.com
  6. Ruben's Blog rubenide.tumblr.com
  7. Yannick's Project Community Blog yy880513.tumblr.com
  8. Zakk Ulbrich zakkulbrich.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more