NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

All for one, one for all

Hello hello, welkom to my another weekly blog. The topic for today is a Teamwork, and I focus particularly on our project group. 

Our group was created by a random selection of people that did not know one another’s personalities, back round, qualities, nor education. I think that is not exactly what you would do for your professional carrier. But nevertheless, we were given a challenge we have to do to finish the project. However, there was another type of challenge, which was putting our team together to make it one productive whole. The first mistake we made was that we started too generally, I mean, nobody was really responsible for anything particular, and therefore there was not much work done. 

I did not see any problems relating the cultural or educational back round, however, I think that there was, and still is a problem with the size of the group. Yes, in my opinion, for this kind of project it is too big. Why do I think that is a problem? Well, I see whole bunch of problems; communication, task dividing, leadership, meetings, participation etc etc. But the main problem is I think the task dividing, because when you have many people in the group, you try to give them all more or less the same amount of work, however, when there is not much work to do for everybody, they cannot really get into the task, they just will not have the space to get there, in my opinion.

But despite all that, I think we managed it well enough so we can see some progress in the project, and in our collaboration. In order to employ everyone in the group, we split the four “hat” into smaller groups of two and I think that did make some difference, a positive one. I believe that when the task is clearly divided the result will come sooner and will be better, because that is the time when everybody can contribute in the work in his or her best possible way. There comes the question about team-leader, because his job should be also dividing the task. However, I have been working on some project when there was nobody in a position of leader, and I worked unbelievably well, but that is probably only in a perfect world where every member of a group is equally motivated and willing to put his best into work. If the circumstances are not like that, I think there is a leader needed, not to teach everybody, only to involve everybody.

But I can just say that our team is working just well, but everything can always get better.

Posted in Community, Group 9
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Michal's Blog of Awesome Stuff
3 comments on “All for one, one for all
  1. Ruben says:

I agree with you on the size issue. I think there’s too much sub-division of tasks and not enough work for everyone to do at this point, but that could change in the coming weeks.

2. Julia says:

Did you know that the Anne’s blog, from Group 1, has the same title as yours?
    It’s a really great title!

And my group also started like yours, none of us had a specific task to do, we were a little lost! But after talking with our tutor we found our way 😉

3. Laura says:

I think you are right about the team size. This is something we discussed with the IDE ProjComm team before we started. It’s all about preparation and knowing a few of the constants beforehand.
    How many students in total? How many tutors? Where would we be? Which classrooms are available? Are they sufficient?
    These are things I will look into next time, to see if we can know more of these constants ahead of time.

It is also a good chance for us as tutors to get to see which qualities come out the best in which students? Without assigning tasks, without assigning who the team leader is (or can be). It is interesting to see who takes charge when nothing is happening. It is also interesting to see who does something I didn’t expect (like the video Keisha – and Maurice – put together. Keisha worked on that for 6 hours, when there was no specific requirement to do such a great video… she just did it.
    That takes a quiet determination and helps me see she can take responsibility, and feels the joy of satisfaction after doing something she can be proud of.
    These characteristics will show up throughout the IDE program. Some team members will show their qualities sooner, and keep on improving them. Others will show them later (or leave the program).
    If the team members work well together, you have a “dream team” who leads the whole class. This is always interesting to see, who is the next “dream team” and who is amazing behind the scenes on their own.
    Great stuff!

Thanks for your insights.

Group 9 Blogs
  1. by Isabel isabelwiltenburg.tumblr.com
  2. Keisha :) sehyeul.tumblr.com
  3. Lee Ji Eun (Jennifer) ken99jen92.tumblr.com
  4. Maurice's IDE Reflection mauriceschill2.tumblr.com
  5. Michal's Blog of Awesome Stuff michalhros.tumblr.com
  6. Ruben's Blog rubenide.tumblr.com
  7. Yannick's Project Community Blog yy880513.tumblr.com
  8. Zakk Ulbrich zakkulbrich.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more