NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

WEEK 3: Crowdsourcing and Me

When I reflect back on how I use online structures I see 3 main directions.

The first and most commonly used simply involves my network of friends, that I connect through via Facebook, Skype or through phone services such as Viber or tango. With my network of friends distributed around the world, it helps me keep in contact, but also keep up to date with what they are doing, by following their timeline, posts, or new interests (often through Facebook). Direct communication is my preferred method, as it allows to create a conversation/discussion in real time, instead of bouncing idea’s back and forth. Of course there is a division between how I use these structures in my different social circles. During Team work, or projects the structure help largely to keep everyone updated, and informed on what has been done, what needs to be done, when. 

The second way in which I use online structures, is to explore & gather information. These topics are currently of personal interest, due to school, or personal projects. Websites like Wikipedia, Online Database forums, or Google Scholar, help tremendously in acquiring basic information, but also to gain insights & in-depth knowledge. Even when tackling everyday problems in the house, like fixing things, these structure prove to be very helpful.

The last direction in which I use online structure is to find inspiration, new ideas, or to simply release some energy by going on 9gag. Website like Edge.org and TED, are always a good source of information, but often have innovative, or creative perspective on how to solve issues, or go about handling them. 

So how does Crowdsourcing fit into all this?

For me, to be truthful, Crowdsourcing has not yet had such a great impact on me. Although asking questions on yahoo.answers could be considered as such, there is a lot more potential to crowdsourcing I have to unlock. In order to do this, I have to find groups that share my interest, on diverse social or online platforms, with whom I can discuss idea’s, ask for insights, or simply give my view on the topic at hand. An great example for this would be Kitesurfing. Although I love the sport, and have great beaches around holland to do so, they are often inaccessible without a car, making it difficult for me to attain. However through online groups, it could be possible to organise a trip, with 3 or 4 people, who have time & interest. This would pool resources, and would only require one individual to actually have a car, with shared gas costs. This is a simple way to crowdsource, and is almost like Car pooling. 

I can see how crowdsourcing can be a helpful tool to anyone, and can often make life easier. 

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Community, Group 9
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Maurice's IDE Reflection
3 comments on “WEEK 3: Crowdsourcing and Me
  1. Keisha says:

I found a company using a small (kind of) crowdsourcing on the facebook. Maybe i can share it with you at next meeting. And your example of car pooling is very charming! I like it 🙂

2. Zakk Ulbrich says:

The fact you mentioned car pooling opened my eyes to networking. It made me realize how big my network is. Even though I only focus on one, I do have a lot of different networks. It could be anything depending on your social interests.
    Your take on direct communication is also true, a discussion via comments here is proof of this. That we cannot have a proper conversation or discussion with ideas this way. It is possible, but it is much harder to come to a conclusion quickly

3. Yannick says:

Very impressive example to help to understand the Crowdsourcing. I have found some information about how did some international companies use Crowdsourcing to have innovations. Normally these companies collected thousands ideas from different fields of jobs. After analysis and summary they could make the ideas more objective.

Group 9 Blogs
  1. by Isabel isabelwiltenburg.tumblr.com
  2. Keisha :) sehyeul.tumblr.com
  3. Lee Ji Eun (Jennifer) ken99jen92.tumblr.com
  4. Maurice's IDE Reflection mauriceschill2.tumblr.com
  5. Michal's Blog of Awesome Stuff michalhros.tumblr.com
  6. Ruben's Blog rubenide.tumblr.com
  7. Yannick's Project Community Blog yy880513.tumblr.com
  8. Zakk Ulbrich zakkulbrich.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more