NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

My life online

I could say that I’ve built quit a big network the past few years. Since I grew up in Dordrecht, then when I was 18 moved to Delft and now study in The Hague I’ve met a lot of people in my life.. At least I like people :). 

It must admit it is hard to stay in contact with all of my friends and groups without using the internet. Mostly I use Facebook and Whatsapp for staying in touch with groups and friends. Whatsapp is actually an app for your mobile phone, but it is connected to the internet. 
On Facebook I’m in a lot of diffrent groups, like a group with my friends from high school, a group with my roommates and of course the IDE group. I think this is one of the easiest way to communicate to all people in the group by sending only one message. BUT, Facebook is an open network and I don’t trust it at all so I never post personal or secret information on Facebook. That’s where I use Whatsapp or better: a phone call. 
Whatsapp is more a network for short questions and announcements and gossip in one big group discussion. In big groups it can be really chaotic, although I’m using this network the most I think. 

Besides social networks there are some online networks that I use for administration and stuff. Like google docs. I’m part of a group of 15 girls and on this website (where we all have our own account) we can fill in for example when each person is available to hang out a weekend together. It works really well for us. 
There’s also a financial network that I use very often, it is called ‘Wiebetaaltwat’ and on this platform there are also diffrent groups I’m in. You can fill in what you have paid and which members of the group you paid for. For example: I paid for bread and butter for at home, I fill in 3,00 euro’s for me and all my roommates, and then I’m 3,00 euro’s positive on the list. So this platform helps you control your and others expenditure and this also works really well for all the groups I’m in. 

Those were for me the most valuable networks I use to communicate and especially for groups. This networks are all really different from each other and are used for other purposes, so I can’t really compare them with each other. It depends on the situation whether I use Facebook or Google docs.  

I only use networks that are really necessary or very helpful, I don’t like to posses to many accounts on to many different networks, that kind of freaks me out. Before you know it, your whole life is spread out on the internet.

Oh, I almost forgot: since a few weeks I’m also using Tumblr, my new favorite blogging network I’ll proudly add to my list of favorite websites! Very important. :)

Posted in Community, Group 9
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: by Isabel
2 comments on “My life online
  1. Yomna Farid says:

Hey!

I really like that you’re using social networks and groups for your everyday tasks! I like the financial network you mentioned as it really does seem helpful!

However, I am quite the opposite with the fact that I’m not in many groups, but I like that you mentioned that Facebook is definitely not safe and that private things should be kept off the social platform, because a lot of people tend to forget that, and it only results in drama!

Keep it up!

2. What other networks could you find to help you with this project?

Group 9 Blogs
  1. by Isabel isabelwiltenburg.tumblr.com
  2. Keisha :) sehyeul.tumblr.com
  3. Lee Ji Eun (Jennifer) ken99jen92.tumblr.com
  4. Maurice's IDE Reflection mauriceschill2.tumblr.com
  5. Michal's Blog of Awesome Stuff michalhros.tumblr.com
  6. Ruben's Blog rubenide.tumblr.com
  7. Yannick's Project Community Blog yy880513.tumblr.com
  8. Zakk Ulbrich zakkulbrich.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more