NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

BYEEEEE

Eight weeks have been and gone. We now find ourselves putting the final touches on our video and beginning to reflect on our work the past two months. Its hard to believe the times gone so fast and that we were so naïve to begin with.

Each week we have dived into a new topic whether it is crowdsourcing, technology stewardship, marketing or work teams, all have encouraged and demanded – working in/on/with an online community or network. Going into this project I had little experience with this, however I soon realised how essential and beneficial this form of work is in the innovative design industry.
Its benefits stem from the concept of a smaller world where global communication is no barrier. Shared knowledge is key allowing us all to gain and pass on lessons learnt or information gained.  The increased use of online communities and networks is currently – mid-snowball effect – gaining popularity by the day. It’s a movement designers cannot ignore and in-fact is creating an entirely new way or working creatively.

One design principle resounded with me after this project and that is “The Pareto Principle” (http://principles.adactio.com/). Perhaps because this was so applicable to our groups experience. This Principle states: “80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.” Through out this project we experienced a multitude of problems, from; team management to customer interactions and even just the development of solutions.  However it was only due to these problems we encountered that we were able to innovate and come up with solutions – improving the team and the work being produced.

As for tips for next years students… COMMUNICATE! Our teams communication left a lot to be desired and it effected our working relationship. This would be my biggest tip to you along with making the effort to meet face to face, it is so much more beneficial to the efficiency and shared understanding throughout the group.

This experience is going to be invaluable, it is my first real experience working for a customer in a group or international participants. I have gotten an insight firstly into what to expect. I now know how much team work is going to be prevalent over the next 3 years and being aware of this allows me to ensure the way I interact with certain team members is beneficial to the efficiency of the group. Although I go away from this experience feeling my team could have performed better I am very proud of what we have created and thankful for all the lessons I have learnt along the way.

So for the final time..

That’s all for this week!

Untill next time, Siras Henderson xx

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Community, Group 6
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: NABOO DESIGNS.
One comment on “BYEEEEE
  1. Nancy White says:

Sorry it has taken me so long to circle back, but I just wanted to thank you for this final reflection. I hope the faculty team saves your advice and shares it next year!! 🙂 It is perfect advice.

Thanks Again

Nancy

Group 6 Blogs
  1. Chocolate brownies and cookies viktoriyadespotova.tumblr.com
  2. Elena's community ideas elenabimbaite.tumblr.com
  3. Justin's Lil' Box Of Thoughts justinlimboxofthoughts.tumblr.com
  4. Luca's Project Community Blog lucasalce.tumblr.com
  5. Michal"S Harbor misoo235.tumblr.com
  6. NABOO DESIGNS. syeenaboodesign.tumblr.com
  7. Paul's Design Elements paulsblogstuff.tumblr.com
  8. Project Community 2013 gregoryprocomm.tumblr.com
  9. Rebecka's Creations 2.0 rebeckazz.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more