NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

GROUP GROUP GROUP

After working together for 4 weeks we are finally starting to find our rhythm. Slowly but steadily. Initially we dealt out “positions” which we thought was most fitting to everyone’s personal skill set. Although some of these have remained the same, we have found that some people are more suited to other jobs.

I’m finding the motivation of the group great, it is lifting my spirits whenever I am struggling. Equally the leadership has been awesome, Luca has taken to it like a duck to water. He is extremely structured and his understanding of the task is the best in the group.

Equally everyone else is using their own personal skill to contribute. Although Luca is taking the lions share of the work load up till now I hope for the rest of us, with his assistance, to be able to take some of the pressure off of him.

However there is definitely room for improvement! Firstly our initial decision to use Facebook as the main form of communication in the group I believe this was a mistake, as people are posting data at random times and we are not all online when this happens for instance I frequently am out when informed someone’s posted. By the time I get home I have completely forgotten about it. Other groups are using google drive and I would love my group to consider this. Google drive would allow us to access information when we want to and when we are focused on the task at hand.

Initially we had little to no understanding of the task however now we are in the 5th week (half way through the project) I feel we finally have got a grip on the task at hand. For me the difficulties was my lack of knowledge on platforms and anything technology related. However my groups knowledge has made up for this and they are slowly developing my knowledge on the topic too.

Working with such a large group there is always challenges. One of these is ensuring everyone is equally involved. The girls confronted the group last week saying they sometimes felt that we were dismissive of there ideas. This of course was a big surprise to the rest of us however we were able to ensure from now on we listen more attentively when they are talking.

In addition Maarten brought up a very valid point of native English speakers intimidating the others. Of course this was un-intentional but subconsciously the non natives feel intimidated due to their inability to express them selves as fluently. If you visit Maarten’s blog there is a link to a website which discusses how groups can get a handle on this problem but also how we can use it to our advantage. I would recommend every one from all group reads this!

Lastly I would like to discuss the effect of culture on the functionality of our team. All 9 members hold a different culture and this is both a constructive and a restrictive aspect. The variety allows a lot of new and exciting ideas to be shared showing perspectives of many. However when communicating it can be difficult, words may be interpreted differently by others, this is when it is important for us to communicate. Especially us native English speakers, if the others have use a word inappropriately it’s important for us to pull them up even if the we understand what they are trying to communicate.

Until next week - over and out!

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Community, Group 6
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: NABOO DESIGNS.
One comment on “GROUP GROUP GROUP
  1. Nancy White says:

Great and useful reflections. I keep thinking we should have next year’s students read all of your final blog posts as a way to “get their heads” into this strange thing we call project community! THANK YOU!

Group 6 Blogs
  1. Chocolate brownies and cookies viktoriyadespotova.tumblr.com
  2. Elena's community ideas elenabimbaite.tumblr.com
  3. Justin's Lil' Box Of Thoughts justinlimboxofthoughts.tumblr.com
  4. Luca's Project Community Blog lucasalce.tumblr.com
  5. Michal"S Harbor misoo235.tumblr.com
  6. NABOO DESIGNS. syeenaboodesign.tumblr.com
  7. Paul's Design Elements paulsblogstuff.tumblr.com
  8. Project Community 2013 gregoryprocomm.tumblr.com
  9. Rebecka's Creations 2.0 rebeckazz.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more