NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

The end.

How weird, the last blog for project communities… I remember the first one like it was yesterday… How new it all was and how nervous and unsure was I to post it… Anyway, it was a fun experience and hopefully I will not forget my Tumblr account in the future. But enough with the sentiments lets go to this week’s topic…

While using online communities and networks in innovative design I’ve learned that simplicity is the key to brilliance and I am saying this not only as an IDE student but also as an ordinary user. Who likes difficulties? NO ONE! So why make the life even harder than it already is and create fancy schmancy, hard to understand things? I don’t need to look for examples far away, even our school likes torturing students by having all these online communities and networks that students need to follow and keep up to date with the information posted. I would appreciate a piece of paper in the beginning of the year with my schedules and one site where I would see what’s for homework and when various deadlines are. How simple would that be? And we wouldn’t need hhs.nl, blackboard.hhs.nl, projectcommunity.info, and 3 facebook groups. As Plato said: ‘’Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on simplicity.”

My principles for designing and fostering online communities or networks would be: minimalism, accessibility and convenience. All networks that I use share these three principles and I love it. To be honest when I enter websites which are overloaded with information or hard to use, I just turn them off because I get tired and bored very quickly.  Also it is important to use right text, images, layout, bars and even colors because all this can depend on whether the network will be a success or failure.  

To end this blog I would like to say big THANK YOU for Maarten, for guiding, tutoring and advising us through Project Communities. Also my groupmates who were patient and understanding and let’s not forget all the course students and tutors who were very helpful and caring. It was fun and useful experience, so I look forward to more projects! But firstly there are some tips for perspective students:

Dear future students,

Don‘t forget to buy all the strips and then sell it for double or triple price, if you will get an assignment to make a necklace on an introduction week. Just kidding! To answer question what would I tell next year students about Project Communities I have to answer one question for myself: What would I do differently if I had a chance to start all over again? Besides being more involved and doing more work probably nothing… Even though I catch myself thinking pretty often what if the last minute I wouldn’t have gone from team 4 to 6 (Our group was made from one person from each team). But probably it turned out for the best because I met 8 amazing people, with different talents and personalities. What tips would I give to prospective students? Be prepared! I don’t want to freak them out but I felt like a puppy thrown into the water in order to learn how to swim… There is an enormous difference between high school and university especially if we compare East Europe to West. 2 months have passed and I still feel lost and uncertain what should I do… But the bright side is that you will learn one word that would perfectly describe the mixed feeling you will have inside you- CONFUSIASM!!! 

Good luck! 

Xx Elena

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Community, Group 6
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Elena's community ideas
2 comments on “The end.
  1. Nancy White says:

Hi Elena, and I apologize for such a late comment but I wanted to thank you for your final reflection. I had a big smile on my face.

Thanks again

Nancy

2. Maarten Thissen says:

‘Thank you’ right back to you Elena. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayo75QnDnss

Group 6 Blogs
  1. Chocolate brownies and cookies viktoriyadespotova.tumblr.com
  2. Elena's community ideas elenabimbaite.tumblr.com
  3. Justin's Lil' Box Of Thoughts justinlimboxofthoughts.tumblr.com
  4. Luca's Project Community Blog lucasalce.tumblr.com
  5. Michal"S Harbor misoo235.tumblr.com
  6. NABOO DESIGNS. syeenaboodesign.tumblr.com
  7. Paul's Design Elements paulsblogstuff.tumblr.com
  8. Project Community 2013 gregoryprocomm.tumblr.com
  9. Rebecka's Creations 2.0 rebeckazz.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more