NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

What really matters

Hello tumblr, here we are again, and i don’t know why i keep doing this, but i always start writing this blog after 10pm on tuesday -_- i know, i know.. i should plan it better, not to blog before sleep.. but wait.. i actually enjoy it =P Ah, nevermind, just thinking out loud.
Let’s talk about what really matters:

Which of the themes we’ve been looking into so far will be of the most use towards your goal of solving the unmet need of your NGO?

Every week we learn about something useful to help our NGO client,
but if i had to choose one, i would say this week’s topic: Marketing.

Why?

1. The main reason, is because it covers a large range of topics, i was thinking about crowdsourcing and how it was the most beloved topic we studied in Project Community so far, and guess what? It is pure marketing strategy! 

2. It’s a subject i’ve always been curious about but never actually learned it in my graphic design university.
    In Brazil we have Product/Graphic Design and Marketing/Propaganda as two distinct things and usually, “marketers” as we call them, don’t have many designing skills, neither designers dive into the marketing ocean, they even call it “The Dark Side of Design” meaning that marketing fools people with propaganda. (it’s stupid, i know…)

3. Applies to almost anything! As i said i’m no expert in marketing, I might be talking nonsense as i never really studied it, but i can see it everywhere, politics, universities, NGOs, products, it’s goes beyound the supplier/consumer thing, its like it has a social hole.

What you think will play a key role towards success during the process? 
Well, if i knew this already, this project wouldn’t be as challenging as it is
I have a clue, that would be teamwork, even after 7 weeks i still feel like we haven’t done much, we get distracted by the weekly tasks and are always working individualy, we haven’t had any productive meetings, actually we dont meet at all. I believe we will get this done when we sit together and actually work, we only talk about this project on mondays and this has got to change if we expect to get good grades, we’re already on the final stretch.

What do you think the solution should be and why?

Honestly, i think the solution would be designing a god damn User Interface, making LOTS of sketches, and then pick the best design and explain it using theory, but i don’t know how to make my group understand it, the last time i tried to say this, Luca replied to me that we will skip the designing process, like we won’t draw anything… O_O
I’m really worried about the outcome of all this, we are design students, how are we going to design something without designing? And how to make a video out of it? no graphic? Really? Let’s just type Flat Design and Adaptive Layout with Comic Sams and a colorful background! </sarcasm mode:off>

I think the weekly hangouts are distracting us from our main goal. I was the only person on our group who created a drupal commons website and was messing with it on the first weeks, in my opinion it would be the starting point for this project, as our job is to improve the user experience and usability of a intranet system using drupal commons platform! But nobody cared about it, actually i felt like some people had this wrong idea that i was not really working on the project, which needless to say, pissed me off. I don’t know,. i think i will have to present my ideas in more of a formal way to them, or maybe do all the sketches by myself, oh yea, according to Belbin Self-Perception Inventory, i have a Finisher personality, and i know i will have so much work on this last weeks trying to put my ideas into the final presentation.

Do i sound like panicking? it’s ok… I actually enjoy it =P.

Posted in Community, Group 6
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Project Community 2013
Group 6 Blogs
  1. Chocolate brownies and cookies viktoriyadespotova.tumblr.com
  2. Elena's community ideas elenabimbaite.tumblr.com
  3. Justin's Lil' Box Of Thoughts justinlimboxofthoughts.tumblr.com
  4. Luca's Project Community Blog lucasalce.tumblr.com
  5. Michal"S Harbor misoo235.tumblr.com
  6. NABOO DESIGNS. syeenaboodesign.tumblr.com
  7. Paul's Design Elements paulsblogstuff.tumblr.com
  8. Project Community 2013 gregoryprocomm.tumblr.com
  9. Rebecka's Creations 2.0 rebeckazz.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more