NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Step Three To Project Domination: Using People ( Optional )

Good day lads and lasses.
Welcome to another round of my thoughts. Today’s blog will deal with the topic of:ย ”Crowd-sourcing”. Or in other words, using people and how is it useful, if at all ? ( see: Optional )

Crowd-sourcing is the label of the action that one creates something with other people, usually strangers, by allowing them to co-operate on the project.

By allowing others outside of the norm ( group, or partners ) to chip in. The results may surprise you.
It is said that children are more creative than adults, and thus are able of a more abstract solution to problems, or able to solve problems effortlessly.
Different situation, same principle.
While experts are called experts with a reason, they do not always have all answers. Sometimes hidden gems are scattered across the world.
Crowd-sourcing allows you to get in touch with people who have abstract ideas, who may have the answers you seek.

The same holds true for designing. While you design, you are not always going to be able to do everything alone. Ideas are stolen, ideas and creations, innovation and re-imagining are all out of a person’s mind, who has had impressions and formed thoughts out of peoples’s creations.
Which also means that if one wants to make something completely new, or radical, one person might not succeed.
That is why the saying ” Two minds are better than one” exists. In certain situations, crowd-sourcing might be what is needed to finish a project.

These are the greatest advantages crowd-sourcing offers. And in designing, once the design has made a client happy, crowd-sourcing might have allowed you to discover individuals to work again with in the future, or if you are really lucky : an entire network of new colleagues.

The Downside
There are, however, two sides to every coin.

"You die."

Harvey Dent perfectly represents both sides of crowd-sourcing and it’s abstract relativity to helpfulness. Chance.

Above are the advantages mentioned, explained and elaborated. However, this applies that the coin flipped was on the good side up.
Get the coin shown on the upper picture, and you have more problems than before.

The first question is: Will people care ?
Not always.
Not even with a reward will people have sufficient motivation to actually help you beyond that. ( Look, everyone has their price, but I doubt the normal designer like you and me has millions lying around )

If you cannot motivate people, you have no crowd sourcing and you can stop right there, and still stay stuck.

When helping with a design, people might be biased and have unreliable information.ย 
Choose the wrong place and you get both which are actually more useless than nothing, as they might sway and annoy others who might have had something to actually support you.

And lastly, the worst part of crowd-sourcing: Theft.
Why is crowd-sourcing particularly dangerous and scary for the designing world ? Because some people are - censored - . Simple as that.

Thanks for your idea, I will totally name you.

If you allow an idea to be distributed, you can bet that suddenly someone else on the market has your idea as well. SURPRISE !

For a more relevant example, look at at your phone. Chances are you have a Samsung, LG, Sony Ericsson, whatever.

This was not even crowd-sourcing, but isn’t it kind of interesting how Samsung’s’ phones suddenly have Apple’s rough design outline?
And that is for a finished product. Imagine what happens if you have an open contract, have a great idea, get stuck.
Then you go to your designer friends, ask for advice, they have none and suddenly your client has their product.

"Et tu Brutus ?!"

This may the reason why designers don’t like other designers. The one who hands in the design first may call himself the owner.
Look at history has taught us: Thomas Edison pretty much stole all the ideas, and stepped on other inventors.

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Community, Group 6
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Justin's Lil' Box Of Thoughts
2 comments on “Step Three To Project Domination: Using People ( Optional )
  1. Maarten Thissen says:

I like it too, but please share your sources with us and credit the pictures you use.

2. warisra says:

I think Newton is also a stealing dastard ๐Ÿ™‚

Compared to you first blog -as I remember it vaguely- your writing has become alot easier to read and more enjoyable too. ๐Ÿ˜€

I think there is nothing wrong with copying thb. That is how I learned drawing and other great stuff. As the Dutch says: “beter goed gestolen dan slecht bedacht.” = stealing (ideas) is better than inventing crap :3

Group 6 Blogs
  1. Chocolate brownies and cookies viktoriyadespotova.tumblr.com
  2. Elena's community ideas elenabimbaite.tumblr.com
  3. Justin's Lil' Box Of Thoughts justinlimboxofthoughts.tumblr.com
  4. Luca's Project Community Blog lucasalce.tumblr.com
  5. Michal"S Harbor misoo235.tumblr.com
  6. NABOO DESIGNS. syeenaboodesign.tumblr.com
  7. Paul's Design Elements paulsblogstuff.tumblr.com
  8. Project Community 2013 gregoryprocomm.tumblr.com
  9. Rebecka's Creations 2.0 rebeckazz.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } โ€“ Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } โ€“ Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } โ€“ Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } โ€“ Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } โ€“ Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more