NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

We = Power

Frustration. That is definitely a word to describe some of the team work that we have been doing in Project Community. I have realized that I generally like working independently rather than in groups as you do not have to take other people’s opinion in mind. You can go through a much easier process without all the complicated organizing, selecting and collaborating. In groups you will most likely have contrasting ideas or a hard time accepting other people’s ideas.  Working in teams can therefore be very frustrating. 

HOWEVER, independent work might be easier, but in groups you will definitely have more fun, encouragement and support. Like I said in the last blog post about crowdsourcing is that a group of people will have greater amount of knowledge than one alone. You can work more efficiently by dividing the work up, use each other’s individual skills and come up with better ideas as we are a diverse group of people. 

So far in the project I feel that I work the best when I have someone that I can juggle my ideas with rather than with a whole group. I think that if the group is too big it can limit the creativity. This is something that I have felt specifically for this project. I think that I have sometimes been too focused on the overall good of the team and to fit in with the other members rather than pitching in with my individual ideas. This was especially happening in the beginning of the project when we didn’t know each other very well and were unsure of what we were actually doing. And so here the impact of GROUP SIZE comes in. I hadn’t really thought much about this subject before this week but it really did make sense what Chris Corrigan said in the video. That if working in a rather big group (9 people) it is much easier to break up in smaller groups and so create more “edges”. This way enabling more diversity and more solutions!  

Culture is another challenge. Each and every one of use come from very different cultures, speak different languages etc. Only three people in the group are native English speakers. This is something that we spoke about last week. As English is a universal language, the English native speakers have a huge advantage. For me this have always made me very envious as I can’t express myself exactly as I would do in Swedish. Although, the point is that we brought this topic up, we spoke about it and could come to a realization that many of us felt the same way, whereas the English native speakers had never thought of it that way before. This was definitely a part of breaking some of the culture and language barriers. So communication is KEY here.

One thing that I will do differently in the coming weeks to improve my experience and the group’s work is: to be more open with my concerns, approach someone straight away rather than go and feel frustrated about it. 

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Community, Group 6
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Rebecka's Creations 2.0
2 comments on “We = Power
  1. Maarten Thissen says:

Well done. Nice example of communication with pictures and text. Next step is to acknowledge the source of pictures.

2. Goal
    Audience

communication is key GAME on.

And good luck with your personal growth goals.

Group 6 Blogs
  1. Chocolate brownies and cookies viktoriyadespotova.tumblr.com
  2. Elena's community ideas elenabimbaite.tumblr.com
  3. Justin's Lil' Box Of Thoughts justinlimboxofthoughts.tumblr.com
  4. Luca's Project Community Blog lucasalce.tumblr.com
  5. Michal"S Harbor misoo235.tumblr.com
  6. NABOO DESIGNS. syeenaboodesign.tumblr.com
  7. Paul's Design Elements paulsblogstuff.tumblr.com
  8. Project Community 2013 gregoryprocomm.tumblr.com
  9. Rebecka's Creations 2.0 rebeckazz.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more