NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Online Spaces: A Hallucinatory Helper

Wake up Sunshine !

What-? Who, WHAT THE HELL ? WHAT ARE YOU ?!

You, as a hallucination. You watched too much Breaking Bad and fell asleep procrastinating remember ?

No-

Doesn’t matter, I am your subconscious mind helping you !

Oh boy, I’m going crazy.

Hard-working, remember this blog you have to write ?

I- ..Damn. Okay fine, if I’m going crazy, might as well reflect on myself crazy.

Wonderful, we can begin! What is an online space to you, as an individual ?

HA ! Wonderful, that’s easy ! Nothing.

Define Nothing.

Why ?

Because I am your hallucination and I command you to.

Fine, I do not use online spaces as an individual, for the only online spaces which you might consider individually present to be used as an individual, is Tumblr.
Disregarding that however, Tumblr was designed to be a platform sharing the content you create with the world. As you might remember from my previous answer last week, this is part of a digital identity. Sharing content and ideas about oneself allows others to know about one.

To me, an individual utilizing an online space for him-/herself only is completely pointless. It does not help me or a person using it for himself, it would be a virtual waste of space.

What about when finding information for an assignment ?

I guess I would use Google for that, then find out by utilizing secondary research methods to find what I need. That might be the only known instance to me where I utilize online spaces as an individual.

Wonderful. See, was that so hard ?

Be quiet. Thanks, now go away. Wait, why aren’t you gone yet ?

Because we still got lots to answer boy !

I hate you.

Oh you flatter me, nonetheless -*clears throat*- Are you a member of a defined and bounded group or do you interact along the way as you intersect with others in the wider network ?

What ?

Oh boy, my other me is stupid. I asked: “Are you a part of a defined group on the internet” ?

No, wait, yes. I think. Wait, yeah I am !
The “New Open Innovators” on Facebook counts as me being part of a defined group on the internet. I think because it is a closed group of individuals massed together to share thoughts, questions and so on. It’s also an efficient way one might communicate with each other.

Good, and how do you interact with others in the wider network?

I don’t.

Facebook counts, idiot. 

I do, by commenting on other postings made by friends, pressing the like button, and so on. Among many other interactions within different means, such as event plannings on different site sections and groups.

Continuing on then ! Which online space holds the most value to you and tell me why.

None.. just kidding! No need to look at me like that !
I’d have to honestly say that Facebook would hold the most value to me. It allows me to keep in touch with my friends around the world. The time I spend on Facebook, words I’ve typed with my friends, things I’ve shared and learned, it makes Facebook the current most important online space in my life.
And sites where I can find out the best all-you can eat sushi in town.

What about Tumblr ?

Sushi…..

Yeah, I already know the answer to that. Then tell me your most comfortable online space.

The place where you aren’t. Ouch, okay, stop hitting me.
Wait, how can you even hurt me? You’re my hallucination! Oh whatever.

I guess that would be Facebook again, for I do not use many other online spaces on the internet, other than places I can watch my shows, and find out Sushi places.

Why Facebook ?

Seriously, I, what- Oh whatever I give up. 
I find Facebook the most comfortable online space to be in, due to my friends, the easy planning it allows me, even though Zukerberg ruined it some time ago by changing it’s design to “Timeline”.
The tools facebook has allowed us, it’s users, to use are great.
Specifically the calendar, event, and group option.

The first allows me to see a rough outlining of events coming up.
It gives me the overview I need to track and plan with my friends, who create events, or when I create events, it helps us plan when to have events by sharing the online space together and allowing us to communicate while we plan ! The event option also has a group kind of function, which I have already mentioned abone, is a closed group for us. Much like our Open Innovators group on Facebook.

The people on Facebook you meet, or can get to know. You practically can meet everyone there, might it be the last party, or a new friend, who knows a friend, and has a friend, that knows a friend who knows you. Or situational get-to knows, when you need to get somewhere and you contact a stranger to save money, or sell your old mattress.
This, and the fact I need it for my friends and plannings, makes it my most comfortable online space in the internet.

Congratulations, you’ve done it ! We have written a blog-

*Justin Lim grabbing coat and leaving house*

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Community, Group 6
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Justin's Lil' Box Of Thoughts
2 comments on “Online Spaces: A Hallucinatory Helper
  1. Viktoriya Despotova says:

Justin, your idea of making this blog as a dialog is very funny, it kept me amused the whole time, good job 🙂

2. Ceire Kenny says:

This was really creative ! It kept me entertained and answered the entire question, great job.

Group 6 Blogs
  1. Chocolate brownies and cookies viktoriyadespotova.tumblr.com
  2. Elena's community ideas elenabimbaite.tumblr.com
  3. Justin's Lil' Box Of Thoughts justinlimboxofthoughts.tumblr.com
  4. Luca's Project Community Blog lucasalce.tumblr.com
  5. Michal"S Harbor misoo235.tumblr.com
  6. NABOO DESIGNS. syeenaboodesign.tumblr.com
  7. Paul's Design Elements paulsblogstuff.tumblr.com
  8. Project Community 2013 gregoryprocomm.tumblr.com
  9. Rebecka's Creations 2.0 rebeckazz.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more