NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Week 3: Developing your technology knowledge & your digital identity

It can be very useful to let others know what you know can share.

In high school, I did learn to use an application used to produce and publish professional websites. I was mainly trained in my ITGS classes in school to use a piece of software called Adobe Dreamweaver, which is part of Adobe Suite. When using this software, I was mainly trained by the teachers to use HTML language (used for created content) and CSS Code (used for formatting content). I believe my insight in this area will  be very useful in the development of the NGO’s social’s network/platform as most companies wanting to put their content on the web or just want to improve their online material use this type of software to develop their online communities.

From past years, I have also developed skills to create flash animation. The application use to produce these animations is called is called Adobe Flash. This was mainly a side project as the animations created were just extra content for the website I was creating.

Before the year I graduated from high school, I had an ITGS (Information technology in a Global Society) project where I had to create a website for a customer with just basic HTMP and CSS coding.

If I would finish my work at school or somewhere without my personal computer, I would upload it to a file-sharing network where I can retrieve my work from home and continue working on it. This developed my skills of connecting to foreign networks/servers. It was monitory in my previous school to be able to connect to its network as most of the teachers used it to post their learning material.

It can be very useful to let others know what you can learn from them.

Particular skills that I have learnt from my previous classmates include the basic skills of the ins and outs of computers. With the help of them, I build my own computer which including assembling each and every component together. It have me a better understanding out how the specifics of online networking works.

Also very recently, I have learnt new methods of communicating with a large group over the Internet. Joining and being part of Google’s social platform allows for multiple people to join a videoconference. 

What online tools are you good at? For supporting what kinds of activities?

A little confused by what the syllabus means by “online tools” as most online tools are what I assume to be websites that take no further understanding or knowledge to use and understand.

Even though Facebook was primarily created as a social networking platform, my group takes full advantage of its sharing capabilities. I am able to share documents and important file across the group that we created. There are also privacy settings that allow our group to be isolated from others. Facebook is a really good online tool as everyone these days has an account and is always online. This allows and supports my ability to share and communicate (verbally) from whenever and wherever. Facebook also allows for one to one video chats, which gives me an opportunity and supports the ability to get updated with one’s work or situation is a much faster and direct manner. I am always keeping my group up to date with latest happenings and work through Facebook.

I frequently use YouTube as an online tool that I use ever frequently on an educational level. Reading a big block of text is not very consequential to me. Fallowing a video demonstration is a lot more interactive and can be more effective in the learning process. YouTube can support anyone stuck at a particular point of the most situation and answer their current misunderstanding or question in the form of a informative video response.

What would you be willing to teach others?  

Software wise:

In terms of creating a website as our goal is produce a social networking platform, I can teach some basic HTML and CSS coding as they both are universal languages in the computer industry. I have never used Drupal Commons but I am very sure that they use these two coding languages in the development of a basic social networking platform.

Online Tools wise:

From my understanding of what an online tool is, I do not believe that anyone from our group will need any assistance or guidance on how to use these websites (Facebook/YouTube). There may be a few hidden features that are stopping a user from using the online tools to its fullest potential.

What can you do or what do you know about the other groups “unmet needs” they have defined for their NGO?

In group 8, I can see that they are working on the same organization but in a different area. I believe their goal is to have every employee develop his or her personal brand through a social platform. This will maximize the knowledge exchange between individual in the organization

Can your expertise be of use to them?

With Drupal Commons as a resource, I believe I can develop this social platform. Once the design team has come up with something for the employees to develop their personal brand (enhanced Sweet spot model) that would fit on its social website, I could use my experience with coding to turn their ideas into reality. 

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Community, Group 6
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Untitled
2 comments on “Week 3: Developing your technology knowledge & your digital identity
  1. Luca Salce says:

I believe working on a collaborative definition of “online tools” in our course Glossary area would be a great idea as I think some people might have defined this term differently. Also because my definition is incorrect.

2. Nancy White says:

Luca, you wrote:

“A little confused by what the syllabus means by “online tools” as most online tools are what I assume to be websites that take no further understanding or knowledge to use and understand.”

Are those websites easy for everyone? That might be something to explore, particularly from the perspective of your client’s users. I don’t think everyone finds them usable with no further understanding or knowledge — unfortunately!”

But your comment suggests that we need to pay more attention to defining our terms.

Should we work on a collaborative definition of “online tools” in our course Glossary area? http://projectcommunity.info/glossary/

Group 6 Blogs
  1. Chocolate brownies and cookies viktoriyadespotova.tumblr.com
  2. Elena's community ideas elenabimbaite.tumblr.com
  3. Justin's Lil' Box Of Thoughts justinlimboxofthoughts.tumblr.com
  4. Luca's Project Community Blog lucasalce.tumblr.com
  5. Michal"S Harbor misoo235.tumblr.com
  6. NABOO DESIGNS. syeenaboodesign.tumblr.com
  7. Paul's Design Elements paulsblogstuff.tumblr.com
  8. Project Community 2013 gregoryprocomm.tumblr.com
  9. Rebecka's Creations 2.0 rebeckazz.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more