NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Three principels for me.

Good day Loyal Reader,

Waddup? It is time for my last blog for my project community course. Time sure flies. So… Let’s get started!

So to start off, communities and networks are important in the design world. (Somehow I feel like repeating this over and over hahaha…) For me I think communities and networks are more for marketing then really helping you to design awesome stuffs. As learned, we are more creative when we are alone or with less people anyways. In my last ‘faculty blog’ I used networking (Facebook) as a tool for marketing too. Sure you need networking for realizing your design, but the starting point would be for me: Me, myself and Eye.

Everybody has their own style and so do I. I was reading all the links about design principles, and I have to admit, I want to apply all of them in my product. Though if you ask me which one are the most important for me that would be aesthetic, honest and functional.

I kind of pushed myself into the direction of a product designer. To be specific, designing kitchen tools or something for children. That is why aesthetic is important to me. I spend a lot of my time in my kitchen and I always find myself enjoying it more, if my tools are pleasant and fun to look at it and to work with. This works the same for website too. If the site looks more attractive, one would be willing to spend more time on it, at least I do. Recently I designed a business card for my mother, and she told me that a lot of her guests has been taking it home. The design is something else then your standard card (and that is what I paid for hahaha…), so I guess it grabs people’s attention a lot more. What do you think?    image

The most important aspect of our life is to be honest. People are already insecure when they have to order something or contacting someone from the “unknown” * insert spooky wind sound*. It is just not that trustworthy. So when I want to set up a new website, I want people to have faith in me and in my products. To make this happen, I guess it is good to start with a base where friends help you spread your words to their friends. Like my mom’s restaurant: She provides good food and atmosphere, people come to eat, people spread the word to their friends or write good reviews on trip advisor, their friends comes to eat on recommendations and the circles goes on and on. Sure you sometime have to exaggerate with marketing, but too much and you have a really negative impact if you cannot deliver what you promised. Most of the consumers nowadays are really picky, so you have to be careful with that.

Last but not least: functional. Similar to honesty, functional will be playing a big role in my designs. Like I mentioned, I like cooking and I like good looking products. Though the reason I am willing to pay more for these products is because the quality and functionality are quite good. Especially for students of the common wealth functionality is important. I mean if they have a choice of buying a bike for 20 euros or one for 50, I think most of them will go for the 20. It is cheaper and… Well… it is a bike.

I tend to spend more money in kitchen tools and time looking at them in stores and that is where I fell in love with Alessi and Joseph Joseph. Alessi is more of a child-friendly aesthetic brand, while Joseph is more aesthetic modern style. I don’t mind having both styles in my house, so I guess that is something my future partner’s wallet has to decide hahaha…

All-in-all, even though functionality in important for my design, I do not think I can come up with something that looks hideous and functional at the same time… I cannot completely lie about my products too, I don’t benefit from it if I feel bad about it myself, even if the money is good.  

Get inspired, be the inspirer,

Peace out,

Warisra

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Community, Group 5
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Strawberry Egg
4 comments on “Three principels for me.
  1. Nancy White says:

Ah, better late than never to offer a final thanks to the energetic STRAWBERRY EGG. I have appreciated your energy and style, and I really enjoyed learning about your design principles. The day after Nelson Mandela’s death, the idea of “be the inspirer” is even more powerful.

THANKS!

Nancy

• Warisra says:

Well then, here is my better late than never reply too 🙂

Thank you for guiding us through the course, I really enjoyed it. I hope you will be there for the first year students too next year ^_^

2. Meggie says:

When I read the intro I thought,”Oh she means royal leaders. Wait that doesn’t makesense.Oh, this time there is no joke in there”
    For the community, yes it’s great for marketing but it’s also really good for research. I thnk any design phase is preceded by a lot of research and communities are great for that. I like your business cards very much and I can imagine that it appeals to customers.
    I an not sure what you mean by common wealth but I think it is not the Commonwealth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations
    I enjoy how you explain your choice of design principles by giving examples from your own design aspirations.It shows that you have a goal in mind and it doesn’t matter if you end up actually designing kitchenware or somethign completely different, it matters that you have a great driver for your growth. Lookign forward to seeing the results of that in the future!

Group 5 Blogs
  1. Bobby's Place for Struggling with the UPCOMING bobbyide1.tumblr.com
  2. Freddy and the Preservation of Caribbean Tradition freddycaribbean.tumblr.com
  3. Gleb's Blog foxruss.tumblr.com
  4. Ibi Muljosantoso ibims.tumblr.com
  5. Iliya Elenski iliyae.tumblr.com
  6. Stefan's Designed universe sphilipov.tumblr.com
  7. Strawberry Egg eyemymii.tumblr.com
  8. Yura's point of view yurasimus.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more

%d bloggers like this: