NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Design and Crowds.

Crowdsourcing, the first thing I would do if my company suddenly ran out of ideas, capitals, or employees. Most companies who pick crowdsourcing as it’s way to achieve success will end up doing crowdfunding but, if it fails the company is either “not smart enough” or “not doing much enough”. It is one of the easiest way to obtain capitals because its basically comes from people who wants to donate or maybe investors. However, if seen from designers perspective I don’t think it is a good call to make.

First of all, the main purpose of most designers is to become well-known to the world that their design is either really good or really useful and handy. When a designer “crowdsource” that means he/she lets people know what is the purpose of the design and also his/her own innovation. Someone who has better ideas might  steal his innovation and set the patent earlier than the designer. That could be one of the disadvantages of crowdsourcing in design. Designers who undergo this strategy is mainly targeting for quick and easy money and popularity. That’s why from my perspective, its not so beneficial for designers to see this as a good call. Because basically designers goals are acknowledgements, pride, and patent, not the money itself. However if done right, crowdsourcing would give the designers tons of ideas, tons of innovation to be consider and indirectly people let the designers know of what they really want in the real world and let them improvise it better, because thats what they’re good at.

Overall, if I was a designer and could go subjectively, I wouldn’t take and recommend crowdsourcing as a way to grow funds. Because what I’m looking for is the pride as the designer itself. The pride to create something people have never done before. When that moment comes, the money will  automatically follow.

Cheers

Posted in Community, Group 5
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Ibi Muljosantoso
2 comments on “Design and Crowds.
  1. Meggie says:

“When that moment comes, the money will automatically follow.” That is a very naive way of seeing design. Do you really hink that all it takes is originality? And somebody will come along and start making moeny for you?
    It’s OK if your thoughts on the design world are still a bit naive, we haven’t taught you about that yet. But with regrds to crwodfunding and crwodsourcing you should be able to be more structured in your reflection/evaluation

2. Friederike says:

I absolutely agree with you, that crowdsourcing could make the ideas of a designer to obvious and his ideas might be stolen by someone else, but i just partly agree with the crowdfunding, because i think it really depends on what products you are designing.

Group 5 Blogs
  1. Bobby's Place for Struggling with the UPCOMING bobbyide1.tumblr.com
  2. Freddy and the Preservation of Caribbean Tradition freddycaribbean.tumblr.com
  3. Gleb's Blog foxruss.tumblr.com
  4. Ibi Muljosantoso ibims.tumblr.com
  5. Iliya Elenski iliyae.tumblr.com
  6. Stefan's Designed universe sphilipov.tumblr.com
  7. Strawberry Egg eyemymii.tumblr.com
  8. Yura's point of view yurasimus.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more