NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

The last but not the least

Checking out "7 Design Principles, Inspired By Zen Wisdom" by Suzanne LaBarre today I got extremely inspired by one of them:

fukinsei or Imperfection as an invitation for co-creation 

This principle puts together all the different pieces I came across in the last two weeks into one beautiful puzzle.

Firstly, it echoes the discussion we had on vulnerability a couple of weeks ago. Revealing yourself as an imperfect human being (asking for help or support, for example) activates empathy followed by active actions to help or support. And thus becomes the basis for interaction.    

This idea was also a red thread for "Self Unself" exhibition at the Van Abbemuseum Eindhoven curated by Thomas Widdershoven (creative director of Design Academy Eindhoven) and Jan Konings I was lucky to see at Dutch Design week 2013. 

The first project I’d like to mention is Phonebloks by Dave Hakkens, the telephone inviting for co-creation and customization.

This phone consists of the base and various blocks that can be clipped onto it and changed when needed.

The second one - Eternally Yours book is a reflection on how to make a design sustainable implementing personal details into it. 

The book itself shows how it works including very personal photos of the  designers. 

It seems that social networks, such as facebook, tumblr, twitter, work exactly in the same way: they are only valuable when filled with personal details, relieving it’s user to the world.

Other internet services, such as crowd founding enable people to co-create the product they love, while crowd sousing is a platform enabling open innovation.

Using internet services based on imperfection (and thus interdependances) is a way to recreate the way the world communicates and acts. Deepak Chopra in his video about social networks calls this process co-programming of global brain. 

To the next year students I would advise to perceive Project community course as a co-creation process, in which every imperfect individual is of great importance in co-creating the whole. 

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Community, Group 4
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Mairya's intercultural puzzle
4 comments on “The last but not the least
  1. Nancy White says:

Ah, I LOVED this quote “fukinsei or Imperfection as an invitation for co-creation ” and I think the teaching team should put it front and center at the beginning of next years Project Community course. The invitation part, particularly, resonates for me, both in how I see the world and what I’ve learned through my work. Thanks for pointing it out to us.

Thanks again for being part of Project Community!

Nancy

2. Maria says:

hm…
    Is only with imperfection cocreation possible?
    There is nothing perfect in the world, I believe. So it’s worth relieving it and taking it into account stead of trying to act like perfect.

Are there perfect things/ products in the world?
    Do u know any? I don’t ))

3. Miri says:

Thanks for the last sentence.
    You phrased it so short what I couldn’t frame in one sentence. And I still would like to add that everyone should contribute in what he/she is good at. Instead of beeing bored, find something within your project that you like.

Is only with imperfection cocreation possible? Are there perfect things/ products in the world?
    Sorry I like to philosophise.

CU

Group 4 Blogs
  1. + i-yu-me.tumblr.com
  2. de Lang's Design wtdelang.tumblr.com
  3. J's Blog j-p-s-blog.tumblr.com
  4. Lina's Project Community Blog blog-lina-things.tumblr.com
  5. Mairya's intercultural puzzle mairya.tumblr.com
  6. Meliga's Community juliameliga.tumblr.com
  7. Philipp is using tumblr now. So innovative tumbulr-rasa.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more