NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

It’s a little crowded in here…

If you want to have a good idea, have a bunch of ideas”

Before this course I had never heard anything about crowdsourcing and crowdfunding, but after the classes about it I started to search it to find out how people really use it.

But before the examples of the use of crowdsourcing and crowdfunding I’ll put two definitions of each that helped me to understand better what these technics are:

1. Crowdsourcing:

• “Crowdsourcing is a production model that uses the collective intelligence and knowledge and volunteers around the internet to solve problems, create content and develop new technologies or solutions.”
  • “Crowdsourcing is the act of taking a job traditionally assigned to an employee and externalize it to an undefined group, and generally big, of people through an open call, usually the Internet”— Jeff Howe

2. Crowdfunding:

• Crowdfunding the practice of funding a project or venture by raising many small amounts of money from a large number of people, typically via the Internet”
  • Crowdfunding is a new and emerging way of funding new ideas or projects by borrowing funding from large numbers of people often accessed through a website.” 

A funny fact is that the first definition of crowdsorcing I took from Wikipedia, maybe the biggest example of crowdsorcing. In Wikipedia people can put their knowledge online to help other with their research. Another example is the spam. When  a user mark a mail as spam, this information go into a database and then the anti-spam tools providers use this information to mark a certain type of mail as spam.

We saw an example of crowdfunding in class and that really helped me to believe that it actually works, because I thought that people wouldn’t believe that the concept of crowdfunding really can work.

Of course, besides the research that I did on my own, the things in the syllabus on the website of Project Communities also helped me to understand better how a design can use this tools during the development of a work.

In design it’s nice to use crowdsoursing when you have an idea but don’t know exactly how to put it on paper or if it is good enough. But then you will take the risk of put your ideas out there, where anyone can see and use it as his/her own. 

During my research I found a website really nice for design, if you have interest and time take a look ;)
http://www.designcrowd.com/

Posted in Community, Group 4
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Meliga's Community
3 comments on “It’s a little crowded in here…
  1. Jul says:

great looking post. Well structured and interesting
    love it how you included the the links.

2. Maria says:

Never thought, that spam-filter is crowdsoursing 🙂
    And thank you for the link!

3. Nancy White says:

THANK you for including links to your sources! Bravo!

Group 4 Blogs
  1. + i-yu-me.tumblr.com
  2. de Lang's Design wtdelang.tumblr.com
  3. J's Blog j-p-s-blog.tumblr.com
  4. Lina's Project Community Blog blog-lina-things.tumblr.com
  5. Mairya's intercultural puzzle mairya.tumblr.com
  6. Meliga's Community juliameliga.tumblr.com
  7. Philipp is using tumblr now. So innovative tumbulr-rasa.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more