NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

“Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success” Henry Ford

As I noted in my first week’s blog post, by the time I’ve started Project communities course I already had 2 years experience of working with around 10 people for a start up company. Right before I got here I’ve analyzed my experience and thought I’d love to start all over again. And one of my main insights was: how come we didn’t become a team so far.

To my surprise the whole introduction week was about team work and I thought THIS TIME it’s gonna be nice and smooth. And it didn’t work again ;).

Last week was rather chaotic and made me feel upset. The question was: why again? I didn’t really know what to do, was not sure if I should talk to other team members, will they understand what I mean, do I feel right myself. But finally decided to give it a try. At first, I talked to people from other teams and found out that our problems were not unique. So I asked my team what their thoughts were and realized they were similar to mine: we all felt kind of stuck. That encouraged me to look deeper into the problem. My final assumption was: we lost motivation because we couldn’t see the connection between our weekly assignments and our final project. In our spidergram some weeks before we evaluated “Project” as the most important part of our teamwork and it seemed that we didn’t move a step towards it. But after we dived deeper into it we found the connections we were missing and the dynamics of our group work started to change.

This Monday was a very productive one and we came up with a nice plan as well as got some significant insights. Here are my personal favorites:

1. it’s a good idea to divide a team into smaller ‘project groups’ of 2-3-4 so that everyone can stay focuced on the task 
2. Uneven number adds creativity while even helps to come up with final descisions
3. Aligning information keeps everyone in the same context
4. Visualizing it helps aligning a lot
5. Taking responsibility and understanding of interdependences makes all the things look different

And the most important one:           

"It takes some work to make it work" (Jason Mraz “Life is wonderful” my favorite song for this autumn) or never underestimate organizational part of the process :).

Have a nice eve!

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Community, Group 4
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Mairya's intercultural puzzle
2 comments on ““Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success” Henry Ford
  1. Willem says:

Yeah now we are more organized we can set a goal. It is more motivating and clear. I like the quote of Henry by the way.

2. Philipp says:

Feels good for me that you also think that we progressed on Monday. Especially for me the schedule and dividing our team is very helpful because sometimes I´m not that organized and then it´s easier to keep in track.

Group 4 Blogs
  1. + i-yu-me.tumblr.com
  2. de Lang's Design wtdelang.tumblr.com
  3. J's Blog j-p-s-blog.tumblr.com
  4. Lina's Project Community Blog blog-lina-things.tumblr.com
  5. Mairya's intercultural puzzle mairya.tumblr.com
  6. Meliga's Community juliameliga.tumblr.com
  7. Philipp is using tumblr now. So innovative tumbulr-rasa.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more