NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Confusiams or the backbone of survival

"Confusion" sounds like exact word describing our first Community project class. Not really getting what to do, where to ask or how to find this or that. And that’s exactly what you face in "real life", when you start something valuable.

And then you find out that this guy from your team knows how to deal with this sophisticated “blackboard”, another one recognizes that “module guide” is called “course guide for Project Communities” in the “Course information” folder. Step by step you start putting the pieces of this puzzle together and realize that this course is about:
1. NGOs and MDGs  
2. on-line communities
3. team work
4. you (in connection with 1, 2, 3)

And the goals are:
1. Get to know how do NGOs work and what difficulties they face
2. Learn how to use on-line communities (say, technology) as tools to communicate with the wold.
3. Find out how to work effectively as a team.
4. Make your own tiny contribution into making a world a better place to live.

One of the reasons of applying for IDE course for me was my desire to learn how to make real difference to the world around me, while at the same time having an opportunity to travel and be not bounded to a particular place. This course looks like exactly what I need to implement my plan ;).

Our team project (for our team4eva, as we called it) is to think of the ways for Solidaridad Network to introduce Drupal Commons platform to “an international group of professionals with a diverse cultural background”, presenting our ideas and solutions in a video.  

From my own experience I know that even for a small company an on-line platform could be hard to start with. For the last 2 years I’ve been working for a start up company selling devices of different kinds in Russia. After the two years I realized that we are a bit like "Swan, Pike and Crawfish" from a famous Russian fable by Krylov.

And decided to do my best to synchronize the objectives within our team, encouraging others to use corporate network was a part of this task. This experience could be useful in dealing with our task for Project communities as well.

So I feel enthusiasm in the end, not only confusion ;).   

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Community, Group 4
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Mairya's intercultural puzzle
6 comments on “Confusiams or the backbone of survival
  1. Katinka says:

Your post is one of my favourites !

I really liked that you implemented your personal experience, and also the link between that experience and the visualization is very meaningful.

What you wrote, is really clear, ( and honest ) despite of all the confusiasm.

In general, I think by now everything is more clear and understandable, for me definitely, and I suggest your/our next blogpost will contain more nuanced parts and maybe more specific thoughts.

I will try to view everything from different perspectives, to focus on different ways ( of thinking ) and try to find some ‘ out of the box – thoughts ‘.

2. Structuring stuff is the first step to understanding. Hope your group can benefit from your startup experience! Look forward to working with you on this project. Good luck & enjoy the journey!

• Maria says:

Thank you, Maarten! Hope we’ll come up with some good ideas to introduce Drupal Commons to your colleagues 🙂

3. Julian says:

I see you like to structure things good because you made two good lists of what the course is about and what the goals are, I really like these lists and totally agree with the points they contain.

Group 4 Blogs
  1. + i-yu-me.tumblr.com
  2. de Lang's Design wtdelang.tumblr.com
  3. J's Blog j-p-s-blog.tumblr.com
  4. Lina's Project Community Blog blog-lina-things.tumblr.com
  5. Mairya's intercultural puzzle mairya.tumblr.com
  6. Meliga's Community juliameliga.tumblr.com
  7. Philipp is using tumblr now. So innovative tumbulr-rasa.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more