NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

The beginning of the end.

Over the past 8 weeks we have been working with our NGO Gogorobi, we have also been researching various different channels concerning online communities and networks in innovative design. There has been a lot of information that I have learnt throughout this process which I has been invaluable not only to our NGO’s progression towards their goals but also to myself and my own personal development.

However the one most important thing that I have learnt on a personal level would be that there is such a large pool of knowledge online and if you can learn how to find and use the information that relates to you effectively, it can be one of the most powerful tools that you will ever have. There are so many different online communities that are available for you to tap into online; these have been so helpful when we have been researching different channels. For example before I even started this course the only online communities that I used were Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and TheStudentRoom. However I didn’t even think about them as being ‘online communities’ I just obliviously used them as tools to stay in touch and up to date with what is going on within my friends group and expanding on that in the world. Expanding on that, it has also been helpful when presented with the brief from Gogorobi our NGO which in essence is ‘Expanding networks and fundraising’.

http://www.elrahconsulting.co.uk/uploads/assets/large/Personal-development-plan-template.jpg

On the other hand I wouldn’t say that Crowdsourcing was the most important thing as a member of group 3 and given the brief from Gogorobi mentioned above. I would have to say that the ONE most important thing I have learnt about using online communities and networks in the sense of bettering our NGO would be the Crowdfunding sources and techniques that we have been able to use using the networks and online communities that we have researched. The one most vital to use being Global Giving as this is the crowdfunding network site that we will be advising Gogorobi to use in order for them to reach the goals that they want to.

http://www.thegraphicrecorder.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Insight-and-the-Creative-Process-Timeline.jpg

Considering all I have learnt and experienced throughout this project I would say that I have 4 main design principles when designing and fostering online communities and networks. These are as follows.

1. Teamwork
    Teamwork was the most important aspect of this project. Without our group working as a team and coordinating with each other whilst each taking on a part of the responsibility I don’t think that this project would have been achievable. You may have seen in my previous blog posts that week 5 was a turning point for our group as we were asked to look at social and technological architecture. From this we divided our group up into smaller work teams within the group and this became a lot more efficient and helped considerably.

2. Intense Research
    Intense research is something that can be achieved to a better standard when working in a team. For example when Group 3 were researching different crowdfunding options, we all went away and each decided to come back with 2  of the best crowdfunding ideas that we could find, then put them in the middle and choose the best one. I feel that by intensely researching in a team you can cover a lot more resources than if you were on your own. This way we came up with the best and most reliable resource.

3. Client Liaison
    Client liaison was another design principle that I would say was one of the most important. This is because the client is who we are working for and we want to be informative with the options that we deliver to them. Another important aspect of this is that we start off with the correct information, therefore it is important how we structure our questions to the client so that they don’t get confused and that we don’t get unnecessary answers that are non-applicable which could lead us off track. Therefore clear and concise questions, for hopefully clear and concise answers. Sometimes “Less is more”.

4. Simplicity
    Simplicity. After collaborating the other design principles that I have mentioned it is also important to then have the difficult task of making all of the components work together in a simplified manor. To have a clear and defined pattern of thinking that is easily relayed to the client for maximum understanding and efficiency. For group 3 this will be proven in the final presentation that we are due to give next week, however I feel that as we have applied these design principles to the best of our ability that this will be an easier task to live up to. 

For the last time… Thanks for reading!

Tagged with:
Posted in Community, Group 3
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Mikey Taylor's Innovation HQ
2 comments on “The beginning of the end.
  1. Nancy White says:

I appreciate that you included client liaison – I think this is often forgotten. Good catch.

What advice would you give next year’s students please?

Thanks for being part of Project Community

Nancy

2. Katinka says:

wow, good job 🙂

nice pictures and very clear and structured thoughts !
    I would say, this blog is a perfect example for next years students, because very informative and comprehensible.

Group 3 Blogs
  1. ▲▼▲ awesomeidontgetit.tumblr.com
  2. Ideas of Viktorija viktorijapiau.tumblr.com
  3. le trait de génie de lucie luciepauline.tumblr.com
  4. Michelle's Project community course michelle1794.tumblr.com
  5. Mikey Taylor's Innovation HQ mikeyjoshuataylor1.tumblr.com
  6. Mondayly by Fer mondayly.tumblr.com
  7. The 3rd Project kikideurvorst.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more