NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Monday #6 – Theme #4: Marketing/User/Customer Support Communities

Wow! I can’t believe this is almost the last post before we officially present the suggestions. Each week the teams can experience the development of its relationship by coping with the activities and specifical tasks. In my team, I sense a good relationship being developed as we manage to have friendly conversations and make decisions together. I wouldn’t say we are working perfectly as we still don’t cover all features of a productive, active team but we have worked hard enough to approach the required end results. 

From last week’s class & meeting everyone managed to cope with proposed schedule & tasks. Today we were working based on it and it seems as if our final presentation will come up as we wish. We have a storyboard for the online suggestions video, extra material suggesting offline solutions and also an example for one of the solutions being prepared - so the organization may see how it will look like. I interprete this as a satisfactory result which will probably end up being good and stand out when the client sees it. 

Up to last week, we worked on a consistent research which made it easy to priorize and decide on the final video content. This is important as the video is our main goal and today we were supposed to make a storyboard for it. We just made a “script” by summing up our research topics and detailed each topic aspect on the storyboard. Can’t wait to see it as a video!

Today’s theme was Marketing. Marketing and who it is made for: the user and what it is made for: customer support. As one of the many things that came up to the world as a concept after the world war, Marketing was already a well known practice. Well known, but still to be developed in numerous ways. Appropriate and unappropriate ways. But that is not the point of this post.

The point of this post is that, in my opinion, all the themes we’ve worked on so far: Crowdsourcing, Team work, Crowdfunding, none of them will really work if the message isn’t incorporated after a “marketing thinking”. Gogorobí’s main need is networking. The organization needs to connect itself with individuals and groups. To spread their idea of preservation, conservation and promotion, they need people. If an idea needs to be clear and attractive to people, yes, it can, and should, work on its marketing. It is not the only, but a real important strategy, because:

1 - User & Customer: Or not. Marketing is for ALL.

It was a question of today’s hangout: how can a NGO possibly use “marketing”? I see the point of the question, my first thought was also that Gogorobí does not work with such concepts as “user” or “customer”. However, marketing basically means “the action of positioning a brand on the market” and Gogorobí may not directly sell products or services, but to position the stories and traditions they want to promote on a crowdsourcing environment requires some of marketing basic principles. The people who are to “like & share” an idea, are the same “customers” and “users” of other products and services. In the end, the idea is the same.

Marketing represents what checks if all the aspects of a message being spread is compatible of being “sold” or “bought”. Designers, for example, have specific ways to caught user’s attention and make them satisfied customers. Strategics such as UI, UX, responsive websites and apps.

Coming back to the origins of marketing, it may not have popped up in such a nice context. However, the development of such concept enables it to be used within any context. Therefore anyone who thinks of promoting an idea should look after marketing and take what best fits their own purpose. 

Marketing is therefore an essencial tool as it brings the appeal of making content EXPLORABLE. To Gogorobí, when people EXPLORE it, it should bring not satisfaction but recognition of a community that wants to spread a tradition.

2 - Marketing does not mean “Advertising”: Meet Content Marketingimage

Published by http://blog.attachmedia.com/ Designed by Savely Adrianzen

Content marketing is a technique that develops and distributes valuable content, destined to attract, acquire, and retain an objective public.

This technique is perfect for organization’s such as Gogorobí who won’t and can’t ignore or change its context and field of action. It is based on the target group’s capacities and interests. It also includes being prepared for people’s doubts, needs and other kinds of personal reactions. Making use of this tool, Gogorobí is able to wisely position their organization, ideas & accomplishments. It would be something close to promoting the “donation” need within environments such as the website or Facebook and leave the storytelling tradition to platforms designed for telling stories, like instagram or tumblr.

Here is one example I stumbled upon this week. The content is structured  to promote an idea that is not a “promise” or “lifechanging”, as usual publicity would do. It is real, useful, and a “feature” that not all their … have.

http://econsultancy.com/nl/blog/63496-asos-s-new-homepage-puts-emphasis-on-content-marketing

3 - There are several Marketing Solutions based on Storytelling 

A good idea for when an organization decides to use marketing principles is to, before anything, check how marketing itself is .already connected to their context.

As it refers to presenting a company / organization / mere idea and making it attractive for people, marketing will probably consist of telling a story. Well structured, displayed, stories. Nothing is so persuasive as a narrative because that is the way people identify interesting little facts that might be just like them or just like what they want to accomplish or explore.

Here is a link that shows some websites who combine HTML 5 features and the so-effective-storytelling-strategy:

http://econsultancy.com/nl/blog/9582-14-fantastic-scrolling-websites-that-tell-a-story

To end this post, I’d like to share another link I have found this week. It is about how similar the world wide web dynamics is to a ant’s nest. Biomimetics, I love it. The example compares data transmition to how ants approach the search for food. But I’m guessing the way files travel are exactly as the way content travels - people are always using the internet to tell the others where it is better and faster to go and find quality. 

http://engineering.stanford.edu/news/stanford-biologist-computer-scientist-discover-anternet

Gogorobí could crowdsource a marketing team, now that they are going to learn a lot of information about this practice, and let the internet play the main role as it is just appropriated to the cause. Its structure, how it works, what can be explored…this is all we have described so far. And I strongly believe the right tools and platforms will take Gogorobí where it wants to be.

Posted in Community, Group 3
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Mondayly by Fer
Group 3 Blogs
  1. ▲▼▲ awesomeidontgetit.tumblr.com
  2. Ideas of Viktorija viktorijapiau.tumblr.com
  3. le trait de génie de lucie luciepauline.tumblr.com
  4. Michelle's Project community course michelle1794.tumblr.com
  5. Mikey Taylor's Innovation HQ mikeyjoshuataylor1.tumblr.com
  6. Mondayly by Fer mondayly.tumblr.com
  7. The 3rd Project kikideurvorst.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more