NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

#5 Teamwork time!

One of the things I hate most is teamwork. I do understand its main assumptions and why it is important, moreover I am willing to admit that the work of many people is far more valuable and simply better than work of one person. But it often happens that making teamwork happen often requires more effort than achieving the purpose individually. It often happens that one person becomes responsible for all the work done, at least in my poor experience with teamwork.  I assumed the key to successful team work is task division and strong leadership of one person, who will motivate and merge the group together. Having no other choice but engage myself in teamwork I guess I have to overcome my reluctance if I want my team to succeed and to be partially responsible for the outcome.

Our team Evolve team consists of 8 people, which is quite a lot. One could expect utter chaos, disorder and no organization, while we experienced something contrary- silence. For many meeting we sat, talking very little, making very little progress. Often some team members skipped meetings,  punctual attendance also wasn’t our strong side. I do not intent to be offensive in any way, I myself had to miss Monday meeting due to health problems. My absence cold cause some difficulties as I had prepared materials for Sheila, our contact person from Gogorobi Foundation and unfortunately I couldn’t post them online that day. But usually our online communication is flawless, we communicate via our Facebook group and we post everything on our shared Google Drive, which has this advantage of providing all team with information about progress and makes everyone part of the work. I don’t think that cultural differences were a great obstacle for us all, we have common goal and that is the thing that we focused on putting the things that vary us aside. Moreover I think that due to those differences we have different skills and perspectives, which with good attitude will be a great addition to our work. Other positives of my group are good research skills, very good organization and involvement: most seems really concerned about the project and we genuinely care about it.

This Monday ( even though I was absent I am aware of our progress due to our great communication!) we divided our team into smaller 2-3 persons units. My is responsible for contact matters with our NGO and fellow groups working on the same project. Now we got clearly divided tasks, each group is defined from A to Z in all dimensions, so each of us had defined duties. That should improve our efficiency, as well as the pressure put on attendance. Now I think we are on the right track and I really expect some results.

Posted in Community, Group 3
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: ▲▼▲
2 comments on “#5 Teamwork time!
  1. shahab says:

Hi Weronika,

Is there something you might do differently in the coming weeks to improve your experience and the group’s work? And, does everyone have a shared understanding of your assignment? and how does this “awesome communication” contribute to that (weather your previous answer is yes or no!)

• Weronika Tadrak says:

Well..only this monday we changed our work plans as we divided ourselves into smaller groups, so I guess we have to see how does this work out for us before we decide to improve again.
      I believe we all understand clearly our assignemnent as well as partial goals, we discussed the assignment from few perspective so I hope our the team shares same understanding. I assume if anyone would feel doubtfull about it he or she could ask other team member or just go to our Google Drive and clear up uncertianties.

Group 3 Blogs
  1. ▲▼▲ awesomeidontgetit.tumblr.com
  2. Ideas of Viktorija viktorijapiau.tumblr.com
  3. le trait de génie de lucie luciepauline.tumblr.com
  4. Michelle's Project community course michelle1794.tumblr.com
  5. Mikey Taylor's Innovation HQ mikeyjoshuataylor1.tumblr.com
  6. Mondayly by Fer mondayly.tumblr.com
  7. The 3rd Project kikideurvorst.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more