NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Teamwork

The theme of this week is group size. At first it may seem that the more we are, the more ideas we generate, so, the better team we are. However, the practice shows that work in a smaller team is much more effective. According to British author Antony Jay, there are centuries of evidence to support the idea that small groups are the most efficient.

Our team consists of 8 members, so, it is quite a big team. At first we had difficulties in organizing our work. We have tried various methods. As the main we chose to split our team in to sub- teams of 2-3 people and to share the tasks. Moreover, we have made an agreement between our team members to feel the responsibility that we all have to attend team meetings and classes on Monday.

Also, we realized that sometimes we have to look back to the assignment to remember what specifically it asks. It is very important to understand the task.

To me working in the groups is itself challenging. I am a real individualist. Also, education system in my home country mostly focuses on individual work. So, at the beginning of Project community classes I found it really hard to work in a group. And now I understand that working in a team is not so easy and organization of work is very important. It is very hard to keep the balance that all team members would be equally involved in the team work. So, we are still searching for ways to keep that balance.

Furthermore, what’s interesting about all the teams is that we are all very different. Variety of nationalities and different culture backgrounds makes the work even harder. Sometimes it is hard to understand each other.  At the same time it is, also, an advantage that we have more diverse ideas and we are learning from each other.

What we need in our team I think is passion and organization. Our team has many good ideas, however, we still have some chaotic days when the work is not flowing and we are just struggling with the tasks. The main problem may be lack of experience and organization. During the Google Hangout I understood that most of the teams have quite similar problems. However, we are trying to improve the quality of our team work. We listen to advises we get from our tutor and Nancy and we try using it in practice.

Also, what we found new yesterday it was STARR method, which we used for reflections. In my opinion, this method will help us to improve our work. Also, summarizing the ideas and making it clear should help us in organizing better. Otherwise we may get lost in all our ideas. Check- in could, also, be a good way to structure our work.

So, what we are doing now is a great chance to learn how the teams work. That is a valuable experience that will be useful for the further projects.

Posted in Community, Group 3
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Ideas of Viktorija
One comment on “Teamwork
  1. Fernanda says:

Yes! This is what we need: passion. Maybe before we were insecure about our own methods and tasks, but I hope now that we’re solving this, we have some space for more passionate, clear work. It has been great to work with all of you!

Congratulations on a very clear post, I like it 🙂

See you

Group 3 Blogs
  1. ▲▼▲ awesomeidontgetit.tumblr.com
  2. Ideas of Viktorija viktorijapiau.tumblr.com
  3. le trait de génie de lucie luciepauline.tumblr.com
  4. Michelle's Project community course michelle1794.tumblr.com
  5. Mikey Taylor's Innovation HQ mikeyjoshuataylor1.tumblr.com
  6. Mondayly by Fer mondayly.tumblr.com
  7. The 3rd Project kikideurvorst.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more