NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Week 4 Crowdsourcing and Online Social Structures

This weeks’ theme is crowdsourcing and online social structures. Crowdsourcing process is very important to our NGO because it can make a big impact for the further development.

To get a better understanding of crowdsourcing I tried search for some daily life examples. One of examples I found is Wikipedia. It is a free encyclopedia built collaboratively. Anyone can add and edit information in this website. As a result, the content is always up to date and that would be hardly possible on traditional encyclopedia.

What is my place in online communities? Mostly I use online space as an individual. I am interested in what’s happening nowadays like inventions, daily news, exhibitions, events and so on. So, I read the articles, watch videos, and use Google to find all the information. Usually if I find something interesting, I share it with my friend, for example, I send the website link or I just tell them what I have found out.

Furthermore, to collect my findings on the internet I use dragdis.com.  I find this programme very useful because of its simplicity. All you need to do is just to drag the information to the toolbar and it is being saved. After I found this programme I don’t need to press copy/paste, save images as… etc. as often as I used to do. Now it’s much easier to save all the information that seems valuable to me. It can be text, quotation, website, picture or video. I strongly recommend to try this programme.

I, also, have some personal experience of online communities. I am a member of Coursera.org. It is massive open online course website, where you can enroll to a course and study online. Also, it can be called as an online learning community. There are discussion forums for each course, where you can get to know other students and to feel like in a real class. Moreover, I experienced how effectively we can solve the problems, discuss about relevant issues in discussion forums. Another good point of this website is that it connects people with similar interests.

Moreover, I use online spaces like facebook, where I am a member of several groups, for example New Open Innovators group or Waldorpstraat (for students living in student dormitory) and tumbrl for Project Community classes.  Facebook groups help to solve the problems very effectively.  While being a member of New Open Innovators group I can find out information related to our course like websites, articles, video. We can share opinions, write comments. I could call it as a part of our Project Community class , because in New Open Innovators group we learn to be members of online community. 

To sum up, online communities make processes more interactive and involving. Long distances are not a problem anymore. Picture below reflects how online communities like Tumbrl may affect communication.

Posted in Community, Group 3
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Ideas of Viktorija
Group 3 Blogs
  1. ▲▼▲ awesomeidontgetit.tumblr.com
  2. Ideas of Viktorija viktorijapiau.tumblr.com
  3. le trait de génie de lucie luciepauline.tumblr.com
  4. Michelle's Project community course michelle1794.tumblr.com
  5. Mikey Taylor's Innovation HQ mikeyjoshuataylor1.tumblr.com
  6. Mondayly by Fer mondayly.tumblr.com
  7. The 3rd Project kikideurvorst.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more