NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

#3 Know your digital self

Heeellooooooooo ,

We talked a bit about technology this week. So let me begin with a bit of context to it. As we find ourselves in 21st century, we are constantly facing changing and developing technology. It is unavoidable not to be in touch with it. Internet is nowadays place where life, for many people, happens and is as real as the world outside of the web. We have online documents, blogs, meetings and even friends. Part of our reality shifted to virtual space. We have developed out digital identity in order to equal demands of modern life standard.

Engaging myself in virtual reality required from me opening personalized accounts on many portals, such as Facebook, which not only serves social purposes but helps me to keep up with all school assignments. So far I wasn’t involved in any official activity that promoted me as a public person and thus my online activity is quite limited. I have some experience in using most common programs and tools, which were useful for me in the past, such as Power Point, Excel, Gimp, Prezi, Google Hangout, Skype, Facetime, Picassa, Movie Maker. As the course evolves I realize how much I might need such. For example on Monday, while making the spider-graph ( posted below)  imputing the data to Excel table made our work far more easier and what follows we had more time, which we used for more insightful investigation of tools and their importance on different level of company development. For the development process we divided it into 3 phases: Kick start, Implementation and Feedback. All put together on the same graph illustrated our thoughts far better than hand drawing, which was the alternative.

Creating a tumblr account, fortunately wasn’t a big challenge for me, as I have heard a lot about it and I am already involved in similar community ( soup.io) and use of it is very similar, if not identical. So you can see my engagement is use of online tools so far is quite limited and I doubt if anyone can benefit from me sharing my knowledge. Nevertheless I am very eager to learn about other online tools from others, as I think they are very handy for a designer, particularly if one wants to be recognized.  I am particularly keen on mastering Photoshop.

As for online platforms promoting my NGO, The Gogorobi foundation,  I noticed that their online activity is quite poor when it comes to quality and quantity. Although they have their official web site, yet there’s not much information about them and the layout of the page is rather unfortunate. It is difficult to find desired data. Their Facebook page has 130 followers, which for modern standard is very little, it is not regularly updated and the post definitely do not engage the viewer, who is  constantly surrounded by excess of information in the internet. Also they did not decide to participate with any program organized online helping NGOs to market themselves in order to get donors. In my opinionthese are some of  the sources of problems with founding. If my diagnosis is correct Gogorobi Foundation is an example of an organization who is left behind due to inactive virtual advertisement. 

Posted in Community, Group 3
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: ▲▼▲
2 comments on “#3 Know your digital self
  1. shahab says:

Weronika, your statement “We have developed out digital identity in order to equal demands of modern life standard” is an interesting point. First question that it raises in my mind is that: what are the most influential standards that require us to develope digital identities?

You also mention that your engagement is use of online tools so far is quite limited. Obviously, it is your choice to develope your skills in a direction you like.Do you have a plan for what tools you want to learn?

And my last question is that how does your team define a high quality online activity (for the NGO)?

2. Fernanda says:

Hello!

Yes, I agree that Gogorobí online activity is unsatisfactory. However, I think that is something we can understand if we remember what the organization is about: keeping traditions. That may help us to come up with some ideas. It’s always inspiring to work with paradoxes. We’ll work this out, together with Sheila and our teachers.

See you

Group 3 Blogs
  1. ▲▼▲ awesomeidontgetit.tumblr.com
  2. Ideas of Viktorija viktorijapiau.tumblr.com
  3. le trait de génie de lucie luciepauline.tumblr.com
  4. Michelle's Project community course michelle1794.tumblr.com
  5. Mikey Taylor's Innovation HQ mikeyjoshuataylor1.tumblr.com
  6. Mondayly by Fer mondayly.tumblr.com
  7. The 3rd Project kikideurvorst.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more