NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

“On the internet, nobody knows you’re a dog”

We are currently living in a time where the importance of digital media, technology and digital presence increases rapidly. Communities rely on technology more and more. And as the importance of technology increases, the importance of technology stewards increase as well. By developing our technology knowledge we will be able to find the best supporting technology for our NGO and we will be able create our digital identity.

Technological knowledge is necessary to be able to keep up with upcoming new ideas. But as the amount of technology in the communication process increases we also have to be careful what we, as digital identities are putting out there.

A digital identity is the presentation of the actual real life person in the Internet. It starts by using cell phones or having a ID card with an RFID chip. It is your digital footprint left by the interaction in a digital environment. But what do we want to put out there? People write about us and very often we can’t control what they post or tweet. And all this affects our digital identity.
You should ask yourself if you want to be a part of that digital world or better, ask yourself how you cannot be part of it. Isn’t it almost suspicious not to be a part of the digital world?

In the third week of the project community class we started by using a spidergram to find out which types of activities will be required for our NGO and how important they are going to be. But creating one spidergram seemed not clear or suitable enough for our NGO. So we came up with the idea to create three spidergrams. There is one spidergram for the first Kick-Off Phase, one for the Implementation phase and another for a feedback phase. Depending on how productive each phase is going to be, it would be useful to give feedback in between the other phases, to increase the amount of constructive work.

Creating a spidergram is a great possibility to take an overview about all the questions that come up while creating the best way how the NGO can work. Consequently we started to discuss the importance of different topics, such as meetings. How important are meetings? What is the difference between an actual meeting and digital communication (e.g. Google Hangout)? How does it affect the way a group is working?

The discussion gave me the opportunity to get to know the opinions of my group members and I think we are starting to find our roles in the group. As a result our work on monday was well-organized and efficient.
By using Google Hangout a second time we learned that efficient work needs practice. And it takes time. You need time to set up rules such as who is going to talk when? It is interesting to see how social dynamics develop. I see the class as a chance to practice my personal online tools.
Some people in my group already have experience in using online tools and it was very helpful for me that they explained everything. One tool which i feel confident with is Excel. It helped us creating the spidergram. And I would say I am good at filming and have some skills with movie editing, which is going to help us in a later phase of the project. Of cause I would love to learn more about it and hopefully I can help others to develop their skills as well.

All in all i can say that the confusiasm turns into pure enthusiasm! :)

Could that be a possibility for our NGO?

http://www.globalgiving.org/

Posted in Community, Group 3
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: le trait de génie de lucie
3 comments on ““On the internet, nobody knows you’re a dog”
  1. shahab says:

Hi Lucie, I wonder how you are part of the digital world? What do you like to be public about you? which skills and what type of activities?

I think, now that you are getting to know your team, you can see the differences/similarities between the real and digital identities of each member. Is it possible or I’m just gussing!?

2. Warisra says:

Your tittle reminds me of this: http://www.angelfoodcomic.com/wp-content/uploads/I-have-no-idea-what-I-am-doing.jpg

– not really relevant here sorry 😛

3. Giovanni says:

hey 🙂
    I like your writing style, and structure, especially how you link each paragraph to the other seamlessly. i also think that the picture is quite amusing (i hope it’s meant to be somehow). i also think you introduced the topic well.
    I believe you meant Google Hangout (not hangover)?

Group 3 Blogs
  1. ▲▼▲ awesomeidontgetit.tumblr.com
  2. Ideas of Viktorija viktorijapiau.tumblr.com
  3. le trait de génie de lucie luciepauline.tumblr.com
  4. Michelle's Project community course michelle1794.tumblr.com
  5. Mikey Taylor's Innovation HQ mikeyjoshuataylor1.tumblr.com
  6. Mondayly by Fer mondayly.tumblr.com
  7. The 3rd Project kikideurvorst.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more