NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Why crowdsourcing?

Crowdsourcing is one of the important terms in the competitive business world of today. The increasing number of crowdsourcing platforms and their users prove that this type of collaboration is used by a considerable number of people nowadays. But whether crowdsourcing beats the power of the individual genius depends on the industry and its goals, I believe.

Although many people including designers tend to work individually, the positive effects of the crowd on one’s work cannot be ignored. Working with a relevant crowd can be an easy and effective way of getting ideas, information, feedback, and advice. Furthermore, crowdsourcing provides the possibility of getting work done by experts from different fields in a shorter period of time as opposed to getting all the work done by an individual. He/she may also lack the sufficient knowledge and skills required for the project.

On the other hand, the negative aspects of crowdsourcing should also be taken into consideration. For instance, the possibility of experiencing issues regarding the copyrighted material used for submissions, lack of direct supervision on the process, and time consumption while searching for the right expert or information are some of the disadvantages of this type of sourcing.

Posted in Community, Group 2
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Ghazaleh's big thoughts
2 comments on “Why crowdsourcing?
  1. Meggie says:

Your post is relatively short, you touch on the subjects but I would be interested to read a bit more.

2. Viktorija says:

Hello, nice post, the pros and cons of crowdsourcing are clearly expressed. Also, I agree with the idea that for designers who tend to work individually crowdsourcing may have a positive effect. I am, also, curious what do you think about crowdfunding? Why designers, artists etc. should use crowdfunding?

Group 2 Blogs
  1. Anna's page redbullmafia.tumblr.com
  2. Felix's Creative Blog felixsw.tumblr.com
  3. Ghazaleh's big thoughts ilovegreendesign.tumblr.com
  4. Gio's Amazing Place giovannicorpaccioli.tumblr.com
  5. Martin's Creativity Blog mdimitrov00.tumblr.com
  6. Patryk Batistelli patrykbatistelli.blogspot.com
  7. Thoughts by Julian julehmann.tumblr.com
  8. Vinicius' First Tumblr viniciusprojectcommunity.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more