NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Crowd (sourcing + funding)

Crowdfunding and crowdsourcing are 2 very important options for projects like the one my group is doing for the Gogorobi foundation.

According to Wikipedia, crowdsourcing and crowdfunding are (respectively) “the practice of obtaining needed services, ideas, or content by soliciting contributions from a large group of people" and "the collective effort of individuals who network and pool their money, usually via the Internet, to support efforts initiated by other people or organizations”

A couple of weeks ago with the group we explored crowdsourcing platforms, and we came across some that can be very useful and can be tailored to the Gogorobi foundation. We found tools such as photo-and-short-video-sharing app (for iOS and Android) Instagram. We thought it would be a great tool for them as it allows for them to share pictures of their storytelling and music events, and it also allows them to expand their network as many people use instagram, and hashtags can help them reach out to people who do not follow them yet. Like this, more people can be directly informed about what the foundation does, how it works and what it aims to achieve, and with this it can make people more aware of their problems and more people will aid the in the funding process. I think that crowdsourcing is more of a long-term goal, as i think that its benefits are visible in the long run more than the short run, as it takes time to build up followers (for example on instagram)

Crowdfunding is another important option for this kind of project. I believe that it is for the short run, and it may have people question the foundation if it is used in the long run too often. For example, if they start a kickstarter project (let that project be an event or a group of events), if they manage to raise the money for that project, then that is great!, However, it isn’t so great if they rely solely on crowdfunding for every project. The foundation has sponsors, but our goal is also to find a fundraising strategy. 

I think that both crowdfunding AND crowdsourcing are vital tools for this project, however it is up to us to suggest how they should be used in order to be more efficient. As previously mentioned, i think that some crowdsourcing platforms (like instagram) should be used in the long run, and would be more efficiently used in such way. Crowdfunding such as kickstarter or indiegogo, on the other hand, are excellent tools to use in the short run.

Crowdsourcing in design in general has both its advantages and disadvantages. The advantages is that having more people to “work on the project” can keep it a realistic project, since many people “work” on it, however, since more people are “part of the project” the actual final result can turn into something very different than the original brief wa, and can also limit the ideas that everyone would have for the project. As seen in last week’s video, the ideal number to come up with ideas is 1 person. Crowdsourcing though, can be more helpful with coming up with services that one person alone does not have the availability.

SUCH FUN!

Posted in Community, Group 2
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Gio's Amazing Place
2 comments on “Crowd (sourcing + funding)
  1. Meggie says:

You have thought about it well. I think you are right that if you have to seperately get each project funded that it would be a lot of work and maybe also bad for you repuatation. People donate to WWF on reguklar basis without ear marking that money for a specific project, so I wouldn’t call that crowdfunding Ruben.
    To get to very good or excellent you might use and example that is more relevant to Gogorobi than Instagram or bring in more justification of ideas / external sources.

2. Ruben says:

Regarding your comment that too much reliance on crowdfunding can damage a company’s reputation: many successful NGOs have been relying on crowdfunding throughout their existence. Look at organizations like WWF which are constantly soliciting donations from a large audience.

Group 2 Blogs
  1. Anna's page redbullmafia.tumblr.com
  2. Felix's Creative Blog felixsw.tumblr.com
  3. Ghazaleh's big thoughts ilovegreendesign.tumblr.com
  4. Gio's Amazing Place giovannicorpaccioli.tumblr.com
  5. Martin's Creativity Blog mdimitrov00.tumblr.com
  6. Patryk Batistelli patrykbatistelli.blogspot.com
  7. Thoughts by Julian julehmann.tumblr.com
  8. Vinicius' First Tumblr viniciusprojectcommunity.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more