NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Wake up!

Hello everybody!

First of all I want to tell you want I liked the last weeks and especially the week. Last week It felt like the ice would break. There was a discussion about the split of the group for different tasks. I really enjoyed this discussion because there was something like criticism in a constructive way. Also I like our work with google drive and google hangout. We use google drive to upload our documents and results and everybody from our group has access to them. Another tool we use for our group work is google hangout. We had a cyber meeting, where everybody of the group took part. This meeting worked well and there was no technical problems. However I like it more to meet in real life because it feels more personal and you better see the reactions of the people you speak to. One good tool I like to share (Think Miriam has already shared this in our facebook group, but this tool is really cool) is doodle. With this online page you can find easily a time, when you can meet up. This tool works well with a lot of people and you can easily find out when the most people have time. I used this tool a lot in my past to find the perfect date for a meeting. Try it!

Now I want to speak about the “problems” in our group. The first problem I feel in this group is, that nobody wants to take the lead and furthermore the responsible. I think this do not have to be a problem in a group work, because I do not belief that a group needs always a leader. However it is necessary that everybody knows what to do in the group. And this is the main problem. There is to much confusion about the split of tasks in our group, that the process of group work is slow. There should be more dynamic in our group. With dynamic I mean discussions and criticism in a constructive way. We already started with this kind of dynamic, however this should be much more.

About the group size I think, that it is better do work with less then 4 people on new ideas, because otherwise it could be to chaotic. I am a fan of splitting up the tasks for 2 or maximum 3 people. So everybody can focus on his tasks and share the results later with the whole group. In my opinion is this the best way for a successful group work.

Therefore we should attack the problems in the way, that we start discussions and criticize in a constructive way if there is something somebody do not like or has a other opinion. Another point I would like to change is, that I think that there are to much laptops and mobile phones in our meeting. We should start focusing on our tasks and use the mobile phones and laptops only for the tasks. If we use less our electronic stuff we have to talk to each other. And this is one of the most important points in group work. I do not think that our cultural background has much influence on our group work. However I like and maybe need to work very structured and planned (Maybe because I am german, but I think it is more a streak.). Another point is that I often feel that people are very carefully with criticism. I do not really know why, but maybe it is because we do not know each other so well. I know that it could be hard to tell somebody criticism, but now is the time. We need to wake up!

Looking forward, Felix

Tagged with:
Posted in Community, Group 2
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Felix's Creative Blog
4 comments on “Wake up!
  1. Meggie says:

Thank you for being open! Sometimes I wanted to rip he phone out of peoples hands and throw it out the window 😉 Remember that I suggested to all go out for coffee or a beer? Some more friendly informal activity can help to feel more at ease with each other and open the way for constructive criticism. I hope you can help the team move forward.

2. Maria says:

As for criticism. You start by perceiving it emotionally and should first come through this stage to start the next one – analyzing what you’ve been told. It takes time sometimes, specially if you are not happy with yourself or perfectionist. But it’s worth to change the way you look at criticism. Thank you for an insight ).

• Felix says:

Hello Maria,
      Thanks for your comment! I am not sure what you mean with “perceiving it emotionally” because I do not wrote about my “emotions” in this text. I just analyzed our group work in a “self-” and mainly “group reflection” way and I do not want to say something about emotions.
      Greets Felix

3. Julian says:

You woke me up. I agree with a lot of points like the absence of real conversations in our group because everyone looks at their computer or smartphone. The group roles are still not clear for some group members because we don’t have enough roles to fill I think.
    Personally I would confirm your assumption why everybody is careful with criticism.

Group 2 Blogs
  1. Anna's page redbullmafia.tumblr.com
  2. Felix's Creative Blog felixsw.tumblr.com
  3. Ghazaleh's big thoughts ilovegreendesign.tumblr.com
  4. Gio's Amazing Place giovannicorpaccioli.tumblr.com
  5. Martin's Creativity Blog mdimitrov00.tumblr.com
  6. Patryk Batistelli patrykbatistelli.blogspot.com
  7. Thoughts by Julian julehmann.tumblr.com
  8. Vinicius' First Tumblr viniciusprojectcommunity.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more