NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

4+4=10

Talking about group size in today’s session, cleared it up for me why our group of 8 was not working efficiently in the beginning. I also realized that we were not the only team that had experienced the same problem.
After the first week of working in group of 8, we decided to split our group into two smaller components. I believe this division helped us to focus more on different aspects of given tasks and to have a more effective result. In addition to this, I believe that organizing small tasks and meeting their deadlines that we set withing our team is going really well too. I think meeting agendas that our team coordinator provides, is a very great and thoughtful way that make the tasks clearer for us and make our group work more organized. Seeing that most members have an active role and almost everybody in our group brings something new related to what they have worked on during the defined days keeps me very motivated.

In contrast, one thing that is challenging for me in our group work is that sometimes it is not clear to me whether all our group’s needs will be covered and/or who is going to do what. One reason of that is for example not everyone write his/her name in the task document we share on-line between our group members even until a the due date comes up. Another challenging thing for me is about some of our group meetings including “The Chaotic Mondays”. Every week we have 3 group meetings organized. However, usually only the last one of them is task organized in advance; Only in the last meeing of each week we know which tasks will be discussed, and what we are supposed to bring to our group.

After today’s meeting and discussions we had, I think it will really help if we try to organize and plan all of our weekly meetings to avoid chaos and frustration in our group. I think, I as the scheduler, can play a more active role in this regard. I will try to provide a more detailed schedule than what I did before and I hope it boost our effectiveness.

Posted in Community, Group 2
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Ghazaleh's big thoughts
3 comments on “4+4=10
  1. Keisha says:

I just clicked on your post by the title. The title of your blog, 4+4=10, seemed you have a similar idea with me, which is about the synergy effect as a group. But….I don’t see anything related to that idea..:) As I looked into your blog, I found out that we have faced, maybe all other groups have faced, the same problems. Having about 8 members in the group, all groups had problems managing all of them to have works to do. And we found similar ways to solve that problem. It worked pretty well in all groups I think. And I liked your idea of writing names on the works we do. By that, we all can see how much each member works on the task. It can make people get more involved in the group works. 🙂

2. Meggie says:

Well done, you can point out what is bothering you and you point towards a solution in which you will play a role. (Quite often the solutions students put forward are about ‘the others’)

3. Julian says:

YES, now you are getting really reflective ! You opened my eyes when you said you would like the meetings to be more organized by maybe providing a more detailed schedule, I think that could really help us.

Group 2 Blogs
  1. Anna's page redbullmafia.tumblr.com
  2. Felix's Creative Blog felixsw.tumblr.com
  3. Ghazaleh's big thoughts ilovegreendesign.tumblr.com
  4. Gio's Amazing Place giovannicorpaccioli.tumblr.com
  5. Martin's Creativity Blog mdimitrov00.tumblr.com
  6. Patryk Batistelli patrykbatistelli.blogspot.com
  7. Thoughts by Julian julehmann.tumblr.com
  8. Vinicius' First Tumblr viniciusprojectcommunity.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more