NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Infographics

I’m a bit late with this update about my collateral value course reflection, but I just couldn’t find the time to write about it until now.

Friday, we had a guest lecture of a Russian infographer Max Gorbachevskiy. Infographics is a tool of communicating a lot of data visually. We use it in everyday life, like in traffic signs, or in newspapers. It’s important because if you don’t use the proper shapes you might be understood wrongly.

This was a course which was full of red stickers. This means very many people thought this lecture would be good for them in being a designer. I thought so too, even though I spended my red stickers on other topics… Infographics is an important tool for future presentations as being a designer. It is important for a designer to visual their ideas exactly. And it provides a nice presentation for your clients, and that they can see your vision of course. It was a nice additive to our course visual communication. I have never thought of a certain mix of emotion and information. 100% emotional visuals are advertisements. And 100% informational visuals are just numbers. It’s recomendable to use a lot of basics shapes in your presentations because those are emotional and for the easy loyal decision makers (your client). Or you could use methaphors in your visuals for a bit more real evidence look and for the bit more tough decision makers. And so on with explanations, real pictures and analytical designs. Your visuals could be static, animated or even interactive. It was for great help, because Max has shown some stuff which you have never even thought about so deeply. Like, there are three levels of creating such visuals: first collect your data, tranfer that in meaningfull information and turn those into a rich picture of your knowledge of the subject. He also gave some great inspirtation in ways of visualizing data.

The lecture was a bit lengthy, and some parts were getting boring and not really to the point. But it was quite fun to see that this person came to the HHS for this lecture and tried to be so enthousiastic with his difficulties in giving this presentation in English. He did a good job, but he had to sort out some things which were not so usefull to us. And he tried to involve us into his examples and stuff but because it was so lengthy it didn’t work quite well.

A great solution to this lengthy was to give us some more short termed breaks of 5 minutes instead of one of 15. In this way the whole class could be more active in the lecture. Maybe some pommodoro techniques…

I didn’t really learned a lot in those hours, but it sure was of great inspiration and a bit additive to our visual communication course.

Laturzzz.

Posted in Community, Group 1
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Anne's Words
Group 1 Blogs
  1. Anne's Words anneleiverd.tumblr.com
  2. Antonina Khariton Design Project antoninakhariton.tumblr.com
  3. Aureole dilays-aureole.tumblr.com
  4. Jianyi Wang :) jianyiwang.tumblr.com
  5. JoyJoking originaljojo.tumblr.com
  6. Miri's Desk miriamheberle.tumblr.com
  7. NoBeardMarcelo nobeardmarcelo.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more