NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

The end is near

Time goes by so fast, this weeks, I didn’t even noticed that we’re getting closer to the end, thus to our goal. I really liked the picture of the creative process Anne used in her blogpost, because this is exactly how it is. This picture below gave me the final reality check, but so far, i can’t answer the question. 

Credits: http://thephoenix.com/Boston/

The things we learned in the past weeks, helped me understand how communities and companies work and how much afford you have to put in your work. And it helped me understand what is needed for our NGO Solidaridad. So what can be relevant to our NGO and how could they make use of it. To get to this conclusion, first I’ll summarize the main impacts of the previous weeks.

Working in a team means collaborate, support and create ideas, you couldn’t think of by yourself. We learned how to get the best out of a team, by diversify different group sizes and divide tasks. Distribute various group roles like a teamleader, a timekeeper and so on, can be very helpful, since this creates a structure and we all know that it is way easier to work with a structured system instead of just gambling and tossing around. Especially in groups with so many different nationalities and cultures. But as you can see it is all about collaboration. As in crowdsourcing and crowdfunding. It is a way to involve a broader community to your work. Crowdsourcing for example gives people the chance to participate in a design process, by  giving feedback, share ideas and contribute. Crowdfunding is a opportunity for designers, companies or normal human beings, to gain financial support for a upcoming project. But the nice thing about it is, that the supporters are also normal human beings, who likes your ideas and trust in your projects. 

The important thing about a problem is not its solution, but the strength we gain in finding the solution

Still, collaboration doesn’t mean to completely forget about each individual part of a team, to get to the actual reason for this blogpost. 

Our challenge is, to introduce Drupal Commons to Solidaridad. Which basically means, to help Maarten (our NGO), persuade the members of the nine Regional Expertise Centres to use Drupal Commons. I think the theme Me-We-Network will be of the most use towards our goal of solving our NGO’s unmet needs. What they need is an intra- en extranet for wider knowledge exchange, for sharing news and documents.  So far, they communicate only via e-mail or skype. Since they don’t want to spend too much time or money on new technologies, a simple and easy to use Network would be a great impact. With Drupal Commons they could have full control of their own platform. They don’t have this possibility with Facebook, which they only use for Marketing and to keep their supporters up-to-date (which was also our main topic this week). In our group, we worked out a good opportunity to also set value on the Me-part, by creating personal profiles for each member, with profile settings. Containing basic information like age, name, picture, but also country and timezone, to be able to arrange meetings. And in addition it is a way to inform other members about the projects you’re working on at the moment and sharing your trajectory. Hopefully our recommendations will be helpful to Maarten and we will reach our goal with a happy smile and turning the end into a good thing !

Solidaridad Network Facebook Page

Tagged with: , , , , , ,
Posted in Community, Group 1
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Aureole
3 comments on “The end is near
  1. I’ll have to agree with the ladies, you write wonderfully! It is so satisfying for me to read what you have learned. Was all of this new to you? Have you been learning, or as you say, the journey being more important than getting there? And yes, the module is coming to it’s end, but we have just barely begun to form our community.
    If each group finds the strength to go this last lap, this final leg of the project journey… And produce an insightful and cool video, then everyone will be psyched up and receive as much energy as they have put in. I’m looking forward to the final results! 😉

2. Miri says:

You are so good in writing. Really.. Don’t be so unsecure about your writing.. The sentences are so nicely woven together… and have very nice connections..
    Have a nice fall breake… relax..
    CU

3. Maria says:

Nice! You think about every individual of the community and the way he or she can interact with the platform and thus feel more comfortable using it! That’s actually why Facebook works so effectively. Never thought of it!

Group 1 Blogs
  1. Anne's Words anneleiverd.tumblr.com
  2. Antonina Khariton Design Project antoninakhariton.tumblr.com
  3. Aureole dilays-aureole.tumblr.com
  4. Jianyi Wang :) jianyiwang.tumblr.com
  5. JoyJoking originaljojo.tumblr.com
  6. Miri's Desk miriamheberle.tumblr.com
  7. NoBeardMarcelo nobeardmarcelo.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more