NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Crowd or Alone

Crowdsourcing and Crowdfunding have an obvious common word: crowd. One gets ideas or services from publics, the other one collect money from the whole society. Both of them are aimed to maximize the use of crowds and gain the benefits for organizers efficiently.

I explored some famous crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Gambicious etc. These crowdfunding platforms got a great success in business investments, especially in creative and games sectors. The flexible conditions offer comfortable basement for the entrepreneurs to achieve their goal. For our NGO with relatively small budget, it is a good choice to do investments. The whole system is flexible and clear, and it’s not that hard to get bonus.

And I also explored a Chinese platform named AngelCrunch which is aimed to seek the angel investors (an affluent individual who provides capital for a business start-up) for the entrepreneurs. Unfortunately, in China, crowdfunding is not as popular as it in America and Europe, and sometimes it even could be seen as illegal fund-raising. However the advantage is so appealing to both entrepreneurs and business angels that the related departments are setting strict censorship to make sure everything goes along the right side.  

It is really hard to say NO to Crowdfunding. No matter individual people or firms would be very welcome to this new way of fund-raising. And also crowdsourcing provide unlimited ideas or services to support people or organizations solving their problems. As our NGO having a large group of members all around the world, crowdsourcing might help them to fix up problems much more efficiently. However, as a designer, “going it alone” and not seeking for help is popular. Actually I can understand, I even agree with this behavior although crowdsourcing has so much appealing advantages. My favorite character in Jin Yong’s (Famous writer in Asia) Kongfu novel is a smart girl. She created the swordsmanship compromising merits of various masters. By using this mixed fencing, she defeated lots of enemies, and got awesome title from her enemies. Seems she could be the greatest one in the novel, unfortunately, she even couldn’t be regarded as the top-ranking heroine. Because the spirit of the fencing is non- unity- based and that leaves cracks to enemies. Therefore, the first place always belongs to the person with trump card, or, rather I might say, people with their own apperceptions on fencing. Likewise, designers are kind of swordsmen, and design is our fencing. Collecting, gathering is not enough, cause creating needs more apperception, observation ability, etc. which should be improved by ourselves. Crowdsourcing might help us to work maturely, to achieve our projects’ goal sooner, but we couldn’t rely on this way to design. 

Design is not pure technology or art, it has them both, kind of half science half art. Crowdsourcing may keep our mind be opened, and offer as much information as we want. Also undeniable, crowdsourcing is a very good way to collect materials. These materials might help us to analyze, to get inspiration, but sometimes, these also could confuse designers.  We do need the ability of independent thinking and the personal apperception. Unique is designer’s life. That’s why I think crowdsourcing is so wonderful but couldn’t lead us to the top. It makes you good, but not great. Learning from others is important, however, finally you have to create by your own, but not scrap something together.

About Crowdsourcing, designers who participate in as a member of provider might have different opinions. Actually myself used to be the member for couple of times.  For the bid itself, it’s equal and high effective. For party B, the designers, the payment could be a problem. On one hand, you can fine more opportunities to get payment., on the other, the payment is always lower than that you should get. For party A, they might be beset by the work quality.

Generally, crowdsourcing is really good for projects. Groups and organizations might get their goals with less time and less money. But for the individual designers, this might be an auxiliary tool, not the final way to use. It’s not about arrogance, but the belief.  Stay hungry, stay foolish, and always be unique. How to bring your unique characters to commercial side? Or how to keep your personality stay unique while the commercial issue come into your side? It’s a problem. We all love benefits, we also love our precious ideas. Crowdsourcing and crowdfunding brings a new combination of party A and Party B. It made sense, but still not good enough. However, sharing is irresistible stream, how to find a balance between sharing with crowds and keeping personal apperception is still a challenge to me.

Posted in Community, Group 1
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: JoyJoking
4 comments on “Crowd or Alone
  1. Jianyi Wang says:

I saw something from our country, Jin Yong, I like the example coming up with different culture, let every one know more about our culture.

• JoJo says:

Glad you like the novels, I’m a kind of devotee of that. The vision of this article you saw is the new one. Hope it didn’t confuse you. Plz help me to find the unclear part of my writing. Huge thanks!
      P.s Let‘s do a good job on analyzing crowdsourcing & corwdfunding, and also accomplish the final work successfully.

2. Miri says:

Great post….
    I love your insights from China..
    I love how share your thoughts about Design and Crowdsourcing/-funding.
    But I do not get the thing with “Jin Yong’s Kongfu novels and Zhao Min”. Can you explain it to me in other words?

CU

• JoJo says:

Thanks for your reply Miri. I really found that sometimes I just talked about something myself be familiar with but forgot for others, that might be totally unfamiliar. So I revised it and added some explanation. Hope it would be make sense.

Well, I’d like to copy and paste it here for you.

My favorite character in Jin Yong’s (a Famous writer in Asia) Kongfu novel is a smart girl. She created the swordsmanship compromising merits of various masters. By using this mixed fencing, she defeated lots of enemies, and got an awesome title from her enemies. Seems she could be the greatest one in the novel, unfortunately, she even couldn’t be regarded as the top-ranking heroine. Because the spirit of the fencing is non- unity- based and that leaves cracks to enemies. Therefore, the first place always belongs to the person with trump card, or, rather I might say, people with their own apperceptions on fencing.

Group 1 Blogs
  1. Anne's Words anneleiverd.tumblr.com
  2. Antonina Khariton Design Project antoninakhariton.tumblr.com
  3. Aureole dilays-aureole.tumblr.com
  4. Jianyi Wang :) jianyiwang.tumblr.com
  5. JoyJoking originaljojo.tumblr.com
  6. Miri's Desk miriamheberle.tumblr.com
  7. NoBeardMarcelo nobeardmarcelo.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more