NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2013) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

It is a quiet me. A louder we and very loud networks that is shouting to everyone. You just need to listen.

I joined Facebook just recently because I had a project and I want to reach people outside my personal network. I joined a group about making bobbing lace, because I want to find out: What people make bobbin lace? What kind of bobbing lace do they produce? What problems they have to deal with? And it worked.

Maybe an other reason to join fb was to keep in touch with my siblings. I do not live at home since I am 16 years old (because I went to an art-highschool in an other city, and than started studying) and I want to stay in contact with them. I do not want to take the initiative all the time and write them an e-mail. I can see what they are interested in and vice versa.

I have been in the past once to fb. But I was not interested in it at all. They always post stupid stuff. And I had no benefit of being in fb. In fact I had less time. And also now I do not have time for my other hobbies. Be active in the “real” world. Go climbing, cycling, running…

Now in our study here pretty much everything runs in fb. There are discussions, inspiring posts, helpful links, interesting job-offers… You definitively miss a lot, if you are not on fb. I do not know if anyone from this course is NOT on fb and I wonder how he/she feels about that. First I was more an observer on fb, but know I try to communicate more with others. I have started with looking for groups with the same interests and started own initiatives. I use fb more for networking and stay in touch with university stuff. But of course you can’t separate private from “work” nowadays.

A network that I like very much is Couchsurfing. In fact I joined this network before fb. There you can look for people in the same area where you live. And meet for going climbing. It is a place that connect people that are new to a town to others. Or while traveling look for people that want to meet and give you a tour through downtown. Couchsurfing is used the most to find a host in a city/ town you want to got to. And for offering your “couch” to people that are traveling. It is a big community and works like a circle. I offer some one my couch and can sleep on some one else couch… I love this idea.

For research I sometimes post questions to specific themes in blogs. Or browse there for problems.

Now recently we started blogging, and I like sharing my experience and knowledge. But there are so many people out in the world. Who will read my blog-post? Why should someone read it? I am not that special. What I share, many others can also share.

So in general I am a more quiet internet user. I browse for helpful informations. I do not want to be connected all the time with online spaces. I am still improving my network skills and try to use it more for “work”. To get to know new people in the “real” world I use also Couchsurfing.

cu next week

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Community, Group 1
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Miri's Desk
2 comments on “It is a quiet me. A louder we and very loud networks that is shouting to everyone. You just need to listen.
  1. Marcelo says:

I’m also a quiet user guys, love that I’m not the only one here hahaha, Didn’t know that you used couchsurfing, so cool that you use the internet to meet people and do those kinds of things in the outside.

awesome post miriam, as usual. keep it up

2. Anne says:

I really love your title! I’m a quiet internet user too! And there are so many people sharing their thoughts that it is difficult to really pick the really inspiring ones out of all. So the network is so loud, if all messages would be spoken out loud you wouldn’t want to turn on your Facebook.

I’m thinking about to keep on blogging after this project, but indeed as you mentioned: who is going to read it? Who will find me? Is my network big enough to reach and inspire people all over the world?

Group 1 Blogs
  1. Anne's Words anneleiverd.tumblr.com
  2. Antonina Khariton Design Project antoninakhariton.tumblr.com
  3. Aureole dilays-aureole.tumblr.com
  4. Jianyi Wang :) jianyiwang.tumblr.com
  5. JoyJoking originaljojo.tumblr.com
  6. Miri's Desk miriamheberle.tumblr.com
  7. NoBeardMarcelo nobeardmarcelo.tumblr.com

Final Video

Conversations
  • Nancy White { I appreciate that you included client liaison - I think this is often forgotten. Good catch. What advice would you give next year's students please?... } – Dec 18, 5:53 AM
  • Nancy White { Fun visuals! And right to the point. I think you are practicing your design principles! 🙂 Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:52 AM
  • Nancy White { I loved this piece of advice "Nobody will spoon-feed you the content of the course, you have to make your own experiences but you get... } – Dec 18, 5:51 AM
  • Nancy White { I love that you used your own photo! But more important, I appreciate the clarity of your description of what you have learned. WONDERFUL! Thanks... } – Dec 18, 5:49 AM
  • Nancy White { OK, your tips are the most practical ones I've read so far. WONDERFUL. Thanks, Fer. Thanks for being part of Project Community Nancy } – Dec 18, 5:46 AM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/1403 of Community Posts

Read more